It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:47 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: just tried my shapton glass stone set..........
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:02 pm 

I use a couple of hand held sprayers from the hardware store. They have a pump on them that makes life much easier when not working at a sink.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:15 pm 

pjwoolw wrote:I use a couple of hand held sprayers from the hardware store. They have a pump on them that makes life much easier when not working at a sink.

my other goal is to have a constant flow of water to help battle build up and scratches

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:15 pm 

ken123 wrote:The glassstones do yield a brighter finish if they are not loaded up with metal swarf so lots of water helps. Unlike other stones that use the mud generated from the stone to advantage, the Shaptons - pro and glass - primarily contain metal swarf which yields a duller finish left on the stone. Also the smallest amount of your quarter micron spray on the stones will remove or eliminate metal swarf buildup or glazing. It won't replace your final finish with just the quarter micron spray on nanocloth. ZDP-189 has lots of Chromium carbides (20%) and with a pinch of CBN it will increase the speed of your Shapton stones considerably, giving you a denser stone slurry and a more aggressive cutting action and improved finish. ZDP-189 will take an exceptional edge so you can even continue to increase the sharpness of your edge past quarter micron.

In addition to keeping the metal swarf content down, spend a bit more time on each stone to more completely remove the scratch pattern from the previous stone. At times you will get an excellent edge but still need to go a bit further to get all the scratches out. They show up later and require going back to lower grits to remove them.

If you are trying to figure out which stones are leaving the scratches, try 'stroking' the knife in alternative directions with each stone so you can determine what stone scratches they are by scratch direction.

---
Ken

just wanted to say thanks for this

last night my Pocket knife needed re-done I also want to 0 the angle off the blade rather then the table, and wanted to even up the V more on each side ( i dint know why that bothers me)

I carefully ground away with the 220 glass, and worked my way up going opposite directions like you said this help in 2 ways, I could look at 60x and know when i was done with a stone, and know that I wasn't missing the angle also very easy.

I got up to 8K and was VERY happy, hardly any scratches (like 2), moved to the 16K (witch was perfectly white, no build up) and the mirror DUAL'ed and had tone of scratches :evil:

I remembered you said this and gave the stone a quick spray in the middle and started working (it was still liquid) but it worked great, all the scratches came out and while a few remain they are very hard to see. I did get a little build up on the stone, but the spray seems to not let it affect it as bad, then moved to nano cloth and spray, very happy so far. :D :D best mirror to date

Page 2 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2