It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:13 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Watercress kimchee
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:45 pm 

Hey Rook, I bet if you ate this with some of your rum you could blow fire :)

Post subject: Re: Watercress kimchee
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:53 am 
Forum Moderator

Looks good.

Those red thingies chillies???

Yummy.

:)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:16 pm 

Yes. Dried hot peppers pulverized, sea salt, sesame seeds, two cloves of garlic, grated ginger root, and a splash of teriyaki sauce. Coat Chinese cabbage and watercress with this cover and let it sit. How long you let it sit is a personal preference. The longer it sits and ferments the milder it becomes but I don't care for it heavily fermented. I eat mine fairly fresh. I only let it set for about 5-7 hours. Just when most so the cabbage has become wilted, but the stalks still have some crunch left, and it is pretty hot. Most people let it go for a week.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:36 pm 

Looks awesome!

"Dried hot peppers pulverized, sea salt, sesame seeds, two cloves of garlic, grated ginger root, and a splash of teriyaki sauce. Coat Chinese cabbage and watercress with this cover and let it sit. "

You got some proportions? What variety of dried chili? I love Kimchee, never thought to make it though...lack of imagination I suppose.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:53 pm 

Cedar> I have tried all different kinds of kimchee pre-made in jars. Never found one I liked probably because you lose control of the fermentation process. With those, you just get what you get. I have a friend who owns a restaurant and is originally from Korea. She taught me to make it a few years ago. I have had varied results and could never really truly duplicate hers. Hers is by far the best I've ever had. She would just chuckle at me. I've known her for about 20 yrs or so. Anyway, she has finally put together a spice kit to make it, she's had it available for about a year and a half. I don't mess with trying to do all of it from scratch anymore. I get it from her by the case when I'm at her place, but You can get her stuff online. It's Sunnys gourmet kimchee and she also has a teriyaki sauce that I use. Image
If you are making a large batch, roughly one medium size head of Chinese cabbage and I also put in a small bunch of watercress, you will use about 1/2 to 3/4 of her 4oz packet. Dice 2-3 cloves garlic, peel and grate a piece of ginger root about the size of your thumb. Splash the teriyaki sauce last . It helps coat the leaves thoroughly. Toss it occasionally to reincorporate the juices that start forming at bottom. You can use the spice mix for other things too. Try it on some homemade French fries. :) you can also use the teriyaki sauce to make Bol go kee. (Not sure if I spelled that correctly) I use thin sliced beef top round. Gives you a chance to use your suji :) for better results and ease in making it, I highly recommend you try it. It's not really all that expensive and it's fabulous. I didn't want this to sound like a blog post for her, but it's a great find!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:06 pm 

If that post above is against forum rules, you can delete it and I won't be offended. If that's the case I apologize in advance. I didn't mean for the original post to become a plug for my friend, that's why I didn't include a link or anything and didn't just mention it in my very first post.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:12 pm 
Forum Moderator

Calm down dude...all cool.

:)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:18 pm 
Forum Moderator

Hey, that sounds great to me. If they don't know where to get it, then why tell anyone about it :-). Thanks for posting that. Sounds like Kimchee is in my future.

Just looked up Bulgogi that Red referenced: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulgogi.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:22 pm 

Thanks Red. I love bulgogi and kimchee but it is either expensive or crappy, could be a lot of fun to make some.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:11 pm 

Thanks Steve, I knew I didn't spell it correctly. I just spelled it somewhat phonetically. Lol. I can't spell it, but I can make it :) the longer you marinade it the better. I do at least 24 hrs and 48 is even better. The sauce is great for a dipping sauce too for pork.

Page 1 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next