It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:34 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Tojiro DP 210mm Gyuto
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:15 pm 

Oh yeah! Something I forgot to mention with the Tojiro gyuto. The spine is very, very square with a rather sharp 90 degree transition from the back of the spine to the side of the blade. I did not have any issues with it using a pinch grip (some might) but I did notice it kind of catching my cutting board like it wanted to dig in when I flipped it to use the spine to scoot some ingredients out of the way.

Not a huge deal to me and nothing a little sand paper won't fix, but it might matter to someone. lol

And a link to the knife on CKtG: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/tojiro-dp-f-8081.html

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:23 pm 

Nice write up.

"Your Yamashin will get SICK SCARY SHARP... SCARY EASY."
+1 one of the reasons I kept looking after getting the DP was the yo-handle and the limits of VG10. Viva la carbon steel!

An interesting note...I have recently purchased a few different knives and as I get more perspective I am realizing I like blades that are a bit heavier. I know you have fetishized the Goko, if you like the feel of the DP, the Goko will blow you away! Not as dainty as the Kohetsu, but thinner than anything you've seen yet and the ease of sharpening and refined edge of carbon to boot. The Anryu hammered is a level of refinement higher than the Goko, but more incremental than the DP-Goko transition. And I am still lusting after Steve's Yuki.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:00 am 

A co worker of mine just received this in the 3 piece set witb the 150mm petty and paring knife, this knife was very sharp ootb and has been easy to sharpen and repair the tip. I used it for a whole day of prep and liked it alot though to me it was very handle heavy, I guess i am just used to sooo many blade heavy knives now as it seems most of my other knives are wa handled jp. I would definately recommend this knife to anyone starting out with Japanese knives or anyone needing a good workhorse or line knife. I personally have a Tojiro Hand hammered 210mm gyuto with Sk-5 steel and I think this is the sharpest knife I have, also have a Tojiro ITK Kiritsuke and love it for prepping when a long flat knife is needed. Tojiros are great inexpensive knives

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:54 pm 

I agree that the knife feels a bit handle heavy even though the balance point is in the bolster. Granted I use a pinch grip so it puts the balance point behind where I hold it so that is a large part why. lol

My only real complaint with it is it is way too short for me to use as a "main" knife, but it has served me VERY well as a smaller backup to my larger 240mm gyuto which is significantly taller. I think of the Tojiro almost like a rather large petty. lol Even after using some better knives I still have no issues recommending the Tojiro DP 210mm gyuto except in the case where the user wants a taller knife or pristine fit and finish. ~40mm just isn't tall enough for me, but that doesn't make it a bad knife at all and it is definitely a very good performer even if the handles might not be "perfect". ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:38 pm 

It definitely is great for a line knife, my co worker works in garde manger and it has been serving him well

Post subject: Re: 210mm Gyuto
PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:40 pm 

The Tojiro DP is a good introduction or "entry level" knife at a decent price. Nothing more, nothing less.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:43 pm 

I have this knife and love it. I've been very impressed with it and it has served me well.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:03 am 

Yeah I really like mine too. Its nice and sleek. I'll be using a 240 now but the 210 is nimble and great as an over sized petty.

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2