It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:14 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Takeda Gyuto or Sakai Takayuki Damascus Silver 3
PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:22 pm 
Site Admin

Looking to purchase either the

Takeda Classic Gyuto 240mm Medium http://www.chefknivestogo.com/tagyas24.html or Sakai Takayuki 240mm Damascus Wa-Gyuto http://www.chefknivestogo.com/sata24wa.html and would like a bit of feedback.

Thanks,

Kevin

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Takeda Gyuto or Sakai Takayuki Damascus Silver 3
PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:25 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Keven,

They're very different. Takedas are tall and have kurouchi and carbon steel core (aogami super).

The Takayuki damascus is thicker with more convexing and has a beautiful finish.

I own a Takdeda and love that knife but I drool over the Takayuki and they're special.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:41 pm 

How do you chose between to pieces of greatness?

Gun to my head.....I'd have to say Takayuki, it just speaks to me more! But then again it might just be the voices in my head.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:43 pm 
Forum Moderator

As Mark said, two entirely different species.

The Sakai uses a nice core steel....it's stainless, sharpens easily enough, retains a decent edge. The handle is nice. The grind is okay, kind of thick behind the edge as I recall. I think the big draw with this knife is the damascus cladding. It's really nice. However, not as good of a cutter as the Takeda.

The Takeda uses a great core steel....sharpens easily, retains an edge for a long time. The handle is rosewood, so I like that better...but it's not any better made per say. The grind is fantastic IF you want a very thin edged knife. The knife is very tall and will take some getting used too, and it's carbon so a little more immediate care is needed after using. Not any more care....just the care is needed NOW. Can't let it lie around wet or covered in food. :)

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:58 pm 
Forum Moderator

To quote Jeff, "Gun to my head..."

...cuz that's the only way I'd own a Takeda Gyuto in its stock height. If I wanted a Nakiri with a pointed tip, I'd buy one.

HERE'S ONE VERY LOUD VOTE FOR THE TAKAYUKI!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:39 pm 

Adam Marr wrote:As Mark said, two entirely different species.

The Sakai uses a nice core steel....it's stainless, sharpens easily enough, retains a decent edge. The handle is nice. The grind is okay, kind of thick behind the edge as I recall. I think the big draw with this knife is the damascus cladding. It's really nice. However, not as good of a cutter as the Takeda.

The Takeda uses a great core steel....sharpens easily, retains an edge for a long time. The handle is rosewood, so I like that better...but it's not any better made per say. The grind is fantastic IF you want a very thin edged knife. The knife is very tall and will take some getting used too, and it's carbon so a little more immediate care is needed after using. Not any more care....just the care is needed NOW. Can't let it lie around wet or covered in food. :)

Keep in mind the kurouchi finish on a Takeda keeps it pretty well protected (though at least the edge certainly needs the standard care of a carbon blade).

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]