It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:11 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Santoku and Yanagi
PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:59 am 

Thanks... and there is my starting point :)

Can you comment on the Kiritsuke? Because if they (Kiritsuke and Sujihiki) can be used for the same tasks, the kiritsuke looks so much more elegant. Perhaps it's a different monster (read: requires more skills) with the asymmetrical bevel and shape...?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:40 pm 
Forum Moderator

Roger - a true Kiritsuke is a single bevel blade, with the same issues for you as the Yanagiba (lefty, etc.). Mark does have some Kiritsuke/Gyuto knives that are double bevel. They have a very flat edge profile. Personally, I'd still go for a Suji for slicing. I looked over a variety of Suji's at different price points and ended up getting the Fujiwara FKM Suji 270. It's very nice for the $$ and cuts really well. I didn't want to go overboard for a knife that I use only occasionally. Mark's Artifex Suji 270 and the Tojiro DP 270 are great as well in the same price category. Check out the product pages on the Fujiwara and/or Tojiro for a Quick Look video comparison of those two knives. There are some important differences between them.

If you want an awesome all around great performing Gyuto, take a look at the Masakage Yuki 210: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/mayugy21.html.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:46 pm 
Forum Moderator

Yeah, like Steve said, a true kiritsuke is like a yanagi in that it's ground on one side, with a hollow back. It's not a knife meant for a beginner IMHO. I had one and literally never used it.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

Page 2 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2