It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:21 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Tojiro DP 210mm Gyuto
PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:04 am 

My new Tojiro arrived today! :D

Thanks again Mark!

Just thought I would post some first impressions and then a review later after I have used it a bit.

For full disclosure to those reading that do not know, I did not buy the knife. I won it in a giveaway : free-giveaway-t4413.html

Not sure that it's important info to know, but just in case it matters to someone, there it is. lol ;)

Ok, that out of the way, here goes...

First off, this knife is heavier than I expected. Not terribly heavy, and probably not as heavy as some fully bolstered German knives, but the weight is noticeable. It feels pretty well centered around the bolster, so the weight should not be an issue. It just threw me a little bit after using a wa handled santoku for a while now.

Secondly, I was impressed by the edge ootb. It is shaving sharp, push cuts paper, and looks fairly refined. A few swipes on my strop and it was slicing paper towels with ease. I have seen where Tojiro knives are supposed to be hand finished, and I think it shows. It it a VERY good edge for a mass produced knife and extremely functional out of the box. I didn't have to strop it, but I just wanted to see if it would give it that little extra it needed for the paper towel and it did. lol

Lastly, this is a very good looking knife in person. In the photos it looks like any other production knife, and maybe it does look like other knives made in the same fashion, but it has nice smooth lines, clean transitions, and is an all around handsome blade. The lines where the cladding stop and the edge shows through are straight and set it apart from similar looking mono steel blades. Maybe the only negative is that it holds onto fingerprints... but then that's only an issue if you fondle your knives like I do... lol

So all in all while I might prefer a korouchi or similar rustic finish and wa handles if I were to buy a knife, this looks to be an excellent knife and a great value for the money. If I were to get this as a gift I would be ecstatic... technically you could say I did, and I am! LOL I also would not hesitate to give this knife as a gift either. Well, I'm keeping this particular knife, but you know what I mean. I don't see it disappointing the receiver of the gift in any way. ;)

That's the end of my initial impressions after looking... ok... fondling the knife a bit after I got home from work today. I'll make another post after I have had a chance to use it a bit and give my opinions of how it performs. Given how thin and sharp the blade is, I don't think it will disappoint. ;)

Post subject: Re: Tojiro DP 210mm Gyuto
PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:39 am 
Forum Moderator

MUNKY <> Glad to hear you're pleased. I dig the DP... for what it is. I'd choose one over a Henkels or Wusthof Classic. I own a DP in Western Deba<--link, and not only is it my Salmon slayer but I use it as a loaner to lesser qualified hands who need a chef de chef; thing is virtually indestructible.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:08 am 

For a knife to buy I am still looking to get the Goko. Might take longer than first expected after buying everyone else's gifts, but I will have one in my hands. lol Until then, I expect that this Tojiro will serve me well and still be a knife I'll reach for even after I get the Goko.

I have no doubts that there are better knives out there, but for the price it looks like a winner... even if the price wasn't free... lol

Plus now I have a Japanese knife to compare against my Yamashins. It was way sharper out of the box (the Yamashins needed work) so it is off to a good start so far. lol

I should get to start using it tomorrow. :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:04 pm 
Forum Moderator

Def - That's a great knife to have ITK. I have the Tojiro DP 210 as well and it's just a really solid performer. It sits next to a Kono HD2 240 Funi/Gyuto, a Yuki 210, and a Moritaka AS Santoku in my knife drawer and I still pick this one quite often for prep - if that tells you anything :-). My wife likes it also. Win, win, win.

BTW, I got to handle the DP Western Deba 210/240's for the video work. Man, those things are beasts! I think you could go to battle against a hoard of Orks with one of those :-).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:04 pm 
Forum Moderator

SteveG wrote:"BTW, I got to handle the DP Western Deba 210/240's for the video work. Man, those things are beasts! I think you could go to battle against a hoard of Orks with one of those" :-).

Ain't that the truth.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:19 am 

OK, I got to play with... *ahem* USE... the Tojiro tonight when making supper.

Let me say that this knife is currently the sharpest implement in the house. I have gotten my Yamashins close, but they are still thicker behind the edge from the feel of it. Overall the Tojiro, an inexpensive entry level mass produced Japanese knife, beats the similarly priced handmade Yamashin out of the box, hands down unequivocally. The Tojiro cuts like I want a Japanese knife to cut.

I made a pork and chili stew. I got to use the knife on pork tenderloin, onions, poblano peppers, garlic, and potatoes.

The knife trimmed the tenderloin and removed the silver skin effortlessly. The knife slid under and back to free up an end to hold on to, then down the side to remove it. The tip was excellent in that respect. It also make quick work of the vacuum packaging. lol

It had no issues whatsoever slicing the onion in a nice julienne. I didn't dice any onion, but the way it felt it would have had no issues whatsoever. It didn't just fall through with the weight of the blade, but there wasn't much force needed at all to make the cuts.

It cut through the poblano peppers like they weren't even there. De-veining was laughable and brought a smile to my face. It was like I could touch it with the tip and the vein would come right out. I cut the poblano flesh skin side up and skin side down. It made no difference to the knife. I might as well have been just running the knife across the cutting board.

With the garlic, I used the blade to pop the cloves so I could skin them and cut off the root. Then I diced the garlic like one would dice an onion. I made three horizontal cuts, three or four vertical, and then rocked through it to complete the dice. Normally I smash it and chop it, but I wanted to see how the knife did this way. My Yamashins can do it but they will split the garlic at some point. The garlic stayed perfectly whole with the Tojiro. Very, very nice.

When I got to the potatoes things got ridiculous... I peeled and halved a few potatoes and was able to dice some of the halves without touching them. O.O I did a flat horizontal cut through the potato half, then pulling the knife blade through with the tip on the board made vertical lengthwise cuts, and then vertical width wise cuts the same way. Some of the potatoes started to slide apart at the last width wise cuts, but some of them went flawlessly.

With all of the veggies out of the way and my experience with the potatoes, I decided to snatch an unsuspecting roma tomato out of the fridge. Tomatoes seem to be my go to test for edge sharpness. I cut off the stem end and placed it on the board, and sliced it without touching it. I can get my Yamashins started but once it pierces the skin the blade is too thick and the tomato moves. The Tojiro took off slices thin enough to read through, a few even thin enough to collapse on themselves accordion fashion while cutting when enough of them was contacting the blade to stick. The tomato didn't start sliding until about a half inch was left on the board.

All of this was with the factory edge... I did strop it last night about 10 times on each side on two different strops, that is it. No actual sharpening was done to the blade, just cleaned it up a little. I am amazed to say the least. If a "low end" Tojiro is capable of this, I think I'm gonna be floored when I finally get my Goko. And yes, the Tojiro makes me want the Goko even more! lol

This is also a weighty knife, but the weight easily disappears when it is being used, if that makes sense. The balance is at the bolster, so I didn't notice the weight at all with a pinch grip.

As you can tell, so far I LOVE this knife. That being said there are a couple of minor negatives. By minor I mean niggling, nit picking negatives. lol

The transition between the tang and handle are not smooth and I can catch my fingernail on it. There is also a small gap on one side by a rivet that looks like it might have chipped a little when the handle was put on. These "issues" are purely cosmetic and in no way, shape, or form affected the performance of the knife. In fact if I wasn't looking for it I would have never noticed. It's not like the handles were on backwards or anything. lol

The other negative I have is purely subjective and personal opinion. The 43.7mm blade height is too short for me. I can use a pinch grip comfortably but I wanted the blade to be taller when I was using it. The length was fine, and I think a 270mm would be awesome as well, but the back of the blade just felt too close to the board. If I held it in a racket grip my fingers would hit the board. Keep in mind I have large-ish hands and the span between the tip of my pinky and thumb when my hand is spread is about an inch longer than the blade itself. With a pinch grip finger clearance wasn't an issue, it's just that the knife feels tiny even though it is a little over 8" long. I think a blade over 50mm in height would be a bit more comfortable to use in my case.

So all in all, this is an AWESOME knife! If I had known about the Tojiros and what they are capable of when I bought my Yamashins, I probably would not have the Yamashins in the kitchen. They feel a bit inadequate now, and I'm gonna have to do some more work with the blades to get them at least in the same ballpark as the Tojiro. lol

I have a feeling when I get my Goko, I might for once actually be speechless given my reaction to the Tojiro... lol

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:17 am 
Forum Moderator

Nice - but it only gets better as the wallet thins....beware....

Good write up there.

:)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:15 am 
Forum Moderator

MUNKY <> Your Yamashin will get SICK SCARY SHARP... SCARY EASY.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:51 am 

The Yamashins are sharp enough after I sharpened them, just not thin enough.

I thinned them a little bit not long after I got them. They just need a little more thinning to glide through the cut the edge makes as easy as the Tojiro does. ;)

I have no doubt though that the white #1 in the Yamashins would take a finer edge than the VG10 in the Tojiro DP. It's just gonna take a little work to get it to cut how I want. As it is now I don't know which actually has the sharper edge, but I can tell you which moves through the food easier.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:21 pm 
Forum Moderator

Def - Just wait till you step up the food chain a few notches :-). My Yuki 210 will flat out smoke the Tojiro DP (and I think the DP is a damn good knife). It's not just the sharpness, but the entire feel of the blade. It's a little hard to describe, but imagine an increasing enjoyment of the experience as much as you did trying out the Tojiro after coming from the Yamashins.

Also, you might be surprised how much different 4 or 5 mm can make in the blade height at the heel. A 210 Gyuto that's around 47-48 will be much different, clearance wise. The good thing for you about the Goko 210 is that it's pretty tall at over 50mm.

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next