It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:52 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 5 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Nakiris with carbon steel blades.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:43 pm 
Forum Moderator

Thanks Def! TAZ - feel free to send me anything you wish for "testing" :-).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:42 pm 

SteveG wrote:Dave - I'm testing some Nakiri's for upcoming Quick Look videos. I don't have the Tanaka KU or Sekiso for testing (wish I did :-)), but the Goko Nakiri: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/gosa16.html was head and shoulders above the $70-90 models that I'm trying out. It just cut far better and I think it really outperforms it's price point. Very nice Nakiri!

Hmm, that's a little more then I wanted to spend on a Nakiri, but hey I did ask for a couple above the $100 mark if you really loved them haha.

That's a nice looking knife.

With the stainless cladding will it still develop a patina?

Also are those easily removable stickers on the handle, or is that heat shrunk or what not?

It has a pretty thin blade and it's not too tall or too short.

I was looking at the Tsutomu Kajihara Kurouchi Nakiri 165mm that Mark recommended as well. I like that it's the Blue #2 and it's also got a thin blade, but it's pretty tall.

Well I'm probably not going to grab one for a few weeks anyway, so I have forever to ponder and come back to this thread and find even more suggestions to make my decision even harder haha.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:54 pm 

"With the stainless cladding will it still develop a patina?"

The exposed carbon edge will. Not the cladding.

"Also are those easily removable stickers on the handle, or is that heat shrunk or what not?"

I have the gyuto, stickers come off as easy as stickers ever do (read "I hate removing stickers" here). I assume same stickers on nakiri :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:57 pm 

With a carbon core and stainless cladding, only the edge will patina or even rust if not cared for. The sides will stay looking the same.

As far as the stickers on the handle, I'm still waiting to get my first Goko (I want the 210mm gyuto) as well so I dunno how easy they are to remove yet. lol

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:04 pm 
Forum Moderator

Dave - I'd actually recommend the Tanaka Kurouchi Nakiri in this price range. There seems to be a consensus that it's one of the thinnest behind the edge and and excellent performer. The Kajihara is actually not very thin at the edge and is convexed pretty heavily at the edge bevel. The Yamashin was definitely thinner than the Kajihara and I liked it better in testing over the weekend. The Goko was in a different league right OOTB. Keep in mind I didn't get to try a Tanaka.

On the Goko, only the edge will patina, as it's exposed carbon steel. It's a cool look, though. The handle has easily removable stickers, but the ferrule is plastic, not buffalo horn or anything like that. I thought the handle was comfortable - the Chestnut feels good. If you pinch grip, the handles honestly don't enter into the ergonomic equation that much, unless they are grossly under/oversized (not common) or very heavy (like Ebony and such) and affect the balance point.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:19 pm 
Forum Moderator

I wanted to add a personal observation as some food for thought:

If you're not going to be a knife collector and your plan is to assemble a small, but high performance set of knives to use and enjoy for years to come, then consider carefully what adding $30-40 or so to your budget could allow in return. I'm not saying "buy the Goko", but do assess your needs and wants and think long term. I would apply this analysis to other knives you might consider in the future.

If your plan is to start with a more entry-level Nakiri (or other type) to discover more about your likes/dislikes as you gain experience, and purchase a much nicer knife later, then IMO that is a sensible plan as well.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:03 am 
Forum Moderator

The Yamashin had a lefty bias ground edge and was a good bit thicker than the Tanaka's behind the edge. My Fujiwara Terayasu Nashiji Nakiri was/is VERY VERY similar to the Goko; a touch thicker than the Tanaka's, but thinner than the Yamashin and Tojiro Shirogami Nakiri. If you handed me the Goko blade and Fujiwara Terayasu blade, it would be very difficult to tell them apart.

Some info here:
inexpensive-nakiri-t2391.html

Some Nakiri's in action in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2957&hilit=%20nakiri

For a lower priced Nakiri, the Tanaka KU nakiri is an awesome performer! It will need a little sandpaper (or fine files, diamond files, etc) to break the edges on the spine/choil, but that's true for many Japanese knives. My Tanaka KU Nakiri outcut my Fujiwara Terayasu Nakiri (very similar to Goko blade grind wise) and the Sekiso outcut the Tanaka KU.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:20 am 

I haven't had any issues with the Yamashin's lefty grind (I'm right handed), but I did have to thin the blade some to make it cut like I felt it should. That probably says something about the thickness considering I had never used a Japanese knife before then and had no frame of reference before making that determination. It just felt too thick when cutting food. Granted my experience is with the santoku, but it sounds like the nakiri would benefit from the same treatment. I haven't noticed any steering issues though with the grind of the blade.

It sounds like the thinner ones would be better options though as there would be no work for them to cut like they should. lol

I still love my Yamashin knives though. You always remember your first, right? ;)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:29 pm 
Forum Moderator

Tim - Man I really wish Mark would have sent the 2 Tanaka Nakiri's in the latest video package. He sent mostly Nakiri's this time for some comparisons, but I feel like I'm missing out on some great performers. Just played with the Anyru Kurouchi Nakiri last evening and it cut really well. It went through a couple of test onions and a small sweet potato like buttah! I'll have to take another closer look at the Terayasu & the Goko. Thanks for the great insights. The Nakiri Jedi Master you are :-).

BTW, there were Kono Fujiyama B #2, W #1 Ebony & Ginsan Nakiri's in the box as well. All I can say is holy smokes those things are unbelievably nice!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:41 pm 
Forum Moderator

LOL, yeah, I have a thing for Nakiri's :) Started with the Fujiwara, then the Tanaka KU, then the Tojiro Shirogami, Tanaka Sekiso, Richmond AS Laser, Yamashin and the Artifex. Artifex is a few mm too short for me (I thinned mine down, but lost some blade height while doing it, would love to see the stock version around 5-7mm or so taller!!), the Yamashin and Tojiro are a bit beefier than I like. The Tanaka's and AS Laser nakiri are awesome blades. The Goko and Fujiwara are pretty much head to head, and when I tested the Anryu dimpled Stainless/Carbon gyuto to the Goko gyuto, they performed very well, just a touch thicker than the Tanaka and AS nakiri and a touch more drag in food because of that. I suspect the Kono's are more of the Tanaka/AS Laser thinness/cutting performance (ie laser like fall thru with minimal effort and no drag) vs the Goko/Fujiwara/Anryu (fall thru with a teeny bit of drag noticed) and thinner than the Yamashin and Tojiro Shirogami.

There weren't issues with the Yamashin grind in terms of steering, but if you are a righty and the left side is ground more than the right side, it pushes the whole blade away from your hand while chopping stuff vs the convex on the right side pushing the food away from the blade. It was easier for me to get thin slices with the more symmetrical/righty ground Nakiri's. I could feel the extra push on the blade. It was easy to compensate so it wouldn't steer, but was noticeable. I am working on regrinding the Yamashin :)

Page 2 of 5 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next