It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:16 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: xmas gift for my daughter
PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:45 am 
Site Admin

Hi Mark, I am thinking of getting my daughter some knives for Christmas. I'm thinking of these and would like your thoughts. She is a beginner and has used the ones I bought from you and likes the Japanese style but prefers stainless.

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/fufkmgy21.html

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/fufkmpe15.html

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/toitkbrkn.html

Thanks,

Dennis

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: xmas gift for my daughter
PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:47 am 
Site Admin

Hi Dennis,

Yes the Fujiwaras make excellent gifts as does the Tojiro Bread knife. I've given several of the bread knives for gifts to my family and they love them.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:59 am 

I think she would be thrilled with those!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:01 am 

Good choices!

Other options with this feature set would be lateral moves, not improvements. For your edification the Tojiro DP lineup or the Richmond Artifex would be the direct contenders to the Fujiwaras but they are merely different, not better.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:43 pm 
Forum Moderator

Great picks Dennis.

Another suggestion, if used correctly, the Idahone Fine ceramic honing rod is awesome for maintenance between sharpenings: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/id12cerodwna.html.

Just a few strokes using very (I repeat very) light pressure will usually bring back a knife edge that's in good shape, to paper shredding sharpness. The bread knife is a special case and shouldn't need sharpening as quickly as the others. I hold the Idahone horizontally, with the tip resting on the edge of my kitchen counter top and do edge leading strokes with the knife, almost as if I'm using a sharpening stone. You can use the Sharpie trick to mark your edge bevel and find a good angle to hold the blade. If you hold the blade so the angle is slightly higher than the factory edge, you'll find that just a few strokes can put a micro-bevel on the main edge bevel. This can make the edge a little more robust and help extend the time between sharpening sessions.

Also, get the Super Eraser - inexpensive and it really works!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:07 pm 

Let me say that I have been the receiver of knives as gifts that I was less than excited about... but that is because they weren't knives like these. I would have LOVED it if someone gifted me a set like that! ;) lol

I think your daughter will love them and definitely appreciate the thought! :D

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]