It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:19 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Kamo R2 Gyuto 210mm
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:57 am 

Any word on when these will be back in stock?

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kar2gy21.html

Post subject: Re: Kamo R2 Gyuto 210mm
PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:34 pm 
Forum Moderator

BEAST of a cutter... I mean just BEASTLY.

Extremely stiff.

A SURPRISING joy on the stones... really awesome feedback.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:26 pm 

Wow. Looks pretty hefty. Wedging issues?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:05 am 
Forum Moderator

CHIP <> I do wonder why you're not leaping at the Kamo currently sitting in stock. When they are gone; they will be gone for many many months. It's blingy for him, it has ridiculous edge retention, at your price point, it's durable as hell.

It's got some heft for sure, and it is not bad but by no means immune to wedging although it has a workable grind as is. Honestly, Kamo-san specifically grinds them this way because the majority of his customer base wants that MAC truck edge durability, and his logic is that anyone who wants it thinner knows how to make it thinner. I commend him for that. This knife can evolve into an amazing rendering if one sculpts their own modified grind... thinning out behind the edge & playing with convex radii.

Personally, I can not resonate with its stiffness & thickness, BUT there are those who like that in a knife... I'm just not one of them. It is a powerhouse; I repeat this thing has some serious power behind it. It was so inspiring in that regard, I did something during my testing I would have never dared to under normal circumstances. I needed to skewer something & had grabbed 5 bamboo skewers (12"). Instead of grabbing poultry shears I typically use to cut down skewers, I laid the skewers flat on the board, and obviously, with extreme control - let the Kamo rip. As I expected, this knife split all 5 with minimal damage to the edge. It dented & deformed for sure, but I knew it could take it. For a blade @Hrc63 it exhibits shocking durability. I really did this because I wanted to sharpen the R2, and I can't remember being so taken aback by another blade at how surprisingly fun it was to sharpen. A SURPRISING joy on the stones with really awesome feedback. I had never sharpened, nor used, R2 before so I had nothing to compare it to, but I can say it was not the bear on the stones that I had anticipated it to be, it easily took a stunning edge, and I used it for 2 solid days (15/16 hour shifts) before I felt it needed stropping or a touch up. ITK that's impressive. I was curious to see what would wear its edge out, but I really couldn't stand using the knife any longer than 2 days since it's so extremely stiff.

I used the 240, and it's a big knife... I'd say similar in height & length to a Kanehiro: 240+ & in the 53mm range.

Pretty much everyone knows I dislike bling handles - preferring plain jane Ho, Yew, Magnolia - I loved the feeling of this Wa in hand. I love the light woods like Ho, and this one instilled strength... very much like the spirit of the Wa's Isaiah made for the Yoshihiro Yauji's.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:50 pm 

That looks and sounds Great, I hope Mark has them back in stock soon.

Thank You for posting pictures and your review Melampus.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:57 pm 
Forum Moderator

365 <> Mission accomplished... if I helped you. ;)

You're very welcome; it IS my pleasure.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]