It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:25 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: What are the options for leveling stones
PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:53 pm 

Can some one take a few minutes and elaborate why one option is better than another (leveling stones). And at least list all the options.

Let's assume I have shapton glass stones.

From reading the forum I have seen people recommend.

the edge pro leveling kit (silicon carbide powder on a flat glass plate) - use it if you have it but it's a messy
Atoma- which one?
Dmt Extra extra course
Dmt course
Dmt (double sided fine and extra fine)
Someone also mentioned a pricey special shapton leveling stone.
Any options I miss. Please be specific. Just recommending atoma gets confusing.

Size matters?

FYI. I currently don't have anything for leveling so I want to get something once. I hate buying something a second time because I bought the wrong one or the cheap version that is limited. (I have a many of those hand held $5 knife sharpeners from home depot, lowes, and amazon to prove it)

Thanks

El

Post subject: Re: What are the options for leveling stones
PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:15 pm 

For the Atoma you would want the 140x : http://www.chefknivestogo.com/at14dipl.html

I believe the Atomas have a better distribution for their diamonds so their plates leave more desirable scratch patterns on a knife edge when compared to the DMT stones. I don't think that will matter much for flattening other stones though.

The DMT Extra Extra Coarse (I think also around 140 grit) : http://www.chefknivestogo.com/dmtextracoarse.html

DMT is known for being good quality and reasonably priced. If used for knife repair, I don't really know if the scratch pattern is as big a deal at this low of a grit. They are all gonna scratch the crap outta the knife. lol Higher grits are where I think it might matter most, but I could be wrong. Again, not a big deal when flattening.

The DMT Dia Flat lapping stone : http://www.chefknivestogo.com/dmtxxcexla.html

This one is meant for flattening with a super flat surface. It can also be used for blade repair as well, but it might be overkill unless you want your stone as flat as it can possibly get.

This one is a generic 140 grit diamond plate that can be used as well : http://www.chefknivestogo.com/140grdistflp.html

It might not be quite the same level of flatness of the DMTs or Atomas, but it is just fine for flattening stones. It's not like it will be u-shaped or corrugated or warped or anything. lol It's just that if you tested the flatness with equipment, the DMTs and Atomas would probably win.

Finally the Shapton Glass Diamond Lapping plate : http://www.chefknivestogo.com/shdilapl.html

Diamonds embedded in extremely flat float glass with a tolerance of 5 microns in either direction. Pretty much the flattest surface to flatten stones with and a price tag to match. You can buy it if you want to, but something at this level is not needed at all unless you are extremely, uncontrollably, and belligerently anal.

Personally, I would go with either the $30 140 grit generic or the DMT XXC as a step up in quality for stone flattening. Any more than that and (in my opinion!) it's a waste of money for something you wouldn't see a difference in.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:48 pm 

I use this:
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/dmt2x6diplfo.html

Large enough to flatten EP sized stones and can be pressed into use for establishing a new bevel or chip repair when required.

Cheers,

Rick

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:27 am 

Thank you defMunkey

That is exactly what I was looking for.

Sounds like I could use sand paper or the sidewalk in a pinch (semi-joke) or go the other extreme with the fancy shapton. I will be perfectly happy going Dmt or atoma.

El

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:43 pm 
Forum Moderator

Just get the Atoma 3 x 8 #140 and do it right first time round.....

:)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:28 pm 
Forum Moderator

Somewhat slightly off-topic, but I define flattening and leveling as two distinct operations. You can have a perfect flat surface but not necessarily a surface that is level or parallel to the backing plate. This produces a 'slope' that also needs to be taken into account, moreso on the EP than a bench stone. This is something I correct for when cutting stones using a proprietary technique.

Back on topic, note that the Shapton lapping plate is not specified for stones coarser than 500 grit on a Shapton or 1k on non-Shapton stones as they might damage the plate. It is ~ 325 grit plate.

---
Ken

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 5:57 am 
Forum Moderator

"Somewhat slightly off-topic, but I define flattening and leveling as two distinct operations. You can have a perfect flat surface but not necessarily a surface that is level or parallel to the backing plate. This produces a 'slope' that also needs to be taken into account, moreso on the EP than a bench stone."

So true Ken - many sharpeners neglect this crucial element.

:)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 5:54 pm 

I rub the EP stones on a 3x8 Atoma in a circular motion then rotate the stone every 5-6 strokes.
I just hope that it has lessened the possibility of sloping.
Any other suggestions ?

Douglas

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:27 pm 
Forum Moderator

Well you can check with a micrometer and adjust technique to make the sides parallel. I spent ~2k in equipment to do it right as I flatten AND level a LOT of stones. Do realize that making the two sides parallel does use up a bit of stone.

---
Ken

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:22 pm 

Just finished re flattening my stones and thanks for the micrometer
idea.
The largest difference was .006mm off and now they are all no more than .001 off.
I'm going to change my leveling technique. Concentrate , only 4 circles then rotate and check as I go.
Don't know why I never thought it through but you did and shared.
Thanks once again.

Sadden has it right.

Douglas

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next