It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:03 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: New knife sharpening gear wanted.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:53 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Mike. I have been watching your videos on YouTube and I found them to be very helpful. I have never sharpened knifes before and I think it's about time I start. While browsing your site I have narrowed down some products that I would be interested in purchasing. Here are the products:

1. Naniwa Sink Bridge
2. DMT XXC
3. Beston 5pc Set - can the DMT XXC be used instead of the 500x waterstone?
4. Horse Leather or Rock Hard Felt Pad Strop - are strops really necessary?

I don't think I want to go into all the oils and pastes right now, unless you highly recommend them.

I don't want to go too overboard as I'm a beginner so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. As well, I have a cheap chefs knife that I'm going to practice on but I would like to eventually get something in the $100 range. Do you have any recommendations or do I need to spend more (or less). I would prefer a blade with more finger clearance as I find my fingers/knuckles hit the cutting board when I chop (maybe I'm holding the knife wrong). As well, I have never used a Santoku but I've heard good things about them. Are there any drawbacks in using them?

Lastly. I'm from Toronto, Canada and I was wondering what it would cost to ship out all these items and if you know what the duty charges might be. Thanks!

Cheers,
Chris

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: New knife sharpening gear wanted.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:57 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Chris,

I use my Naniwa Sink Bridge all the time and love it. It's a good accessory. http://www.chefknivestogo.com/nasibr.html

The DMT XXC is also something I use almost every time I sharpen. I usually do a quick flattening on them right before I begin. We have some other ones but I like these the best. http://www.chefknivestogo.com/dmtextracoarse.html

You can use the DMT plate for very fast metal removal but I usually find the Beston 500 plenty fast and a little easier to use for most steels. If you have lagre chips or tip repairs to do you can use the xxc.

Horse Leather and Rock Hard Felt Pad Strops are not necessary, especially when you first start sharpening. That said, I always strop my knives as a final step and I use my strops for quick touch ups between sharpening.

If you're looking for a good santoku that isn't too much money I really like the Sakai Takayuki hammered damascus. It's a good knife and will be fun and easy to sharpen.
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/satadahasa18.html

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:59 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for the info Mark. I don't know why I called you Mike, as I must have watched you introduce yourself a dozen times in your videos. You're welcome to use my questions in your forum.

I just have a couple of follow questions. In terms of touch ups, should I be using a strop or a steel rod or both? I have steel but I don't know how good it is (I received it in a knife set). Is there a way to find that out?

Cheers,
Chris

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 12:04 am 
Site Admin

Use your steel for touch ups. Just use a light stroke at the same approximate angle as you sharpen. Just a couple light strokes is all you need to re-align the edge. I find stropping more enjoyable, so that's what I use at home but steeling works well and you have one in your possession so go ahead an use it. You can get into stropping at a later date.

Chefknivestogo Blog

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]