It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:26 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 5 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Nakiris with carbon steel blades.
PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:55 pm 
Site Admin

Sweet. Thanks Mark, your service is top notch as always.

Hey while I got you on the line, can you give me say 5 recommendations for Nakiri's with a carbon blade?

Say at least 3 of those under $100 and the other 2 can be under $100, but no more then $150 if you love one in that range?

And lastly, what is your personal opinion on this one?

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/mu16na.html

Murata Buho 165mm Nakiri.

I'll post something on the boards as well, I finally signed up, so no rush, but it would be much appreciated to hear your personal take as well.

Thanks again,

Chris

Chefknivestogo New Arrivals

Post subject: Re: Nakiris with carbon steel blades.
PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:56 pm 
Site Admin

We have a ton of good choices. The Buho is a really good one. The Kajihari kurouchi is another one.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:10 pm 

Thanks Mark.

That was actually one of the other ones I was looking at too.

I've never had a knife with a round handle though, not sure how I feel about it.

So far I like Wa's and D shape, maybe I'll venture into one.

This is oval so I guess that's actually similar to the D shaped on a Shun though?

Also, how reactive are both of these?

I know all carbon will be and from just reading reviews, comments and such on a wide range of knives it feels like Blue is especially reactive, but will these be so high maintenance where if I'm prepping and don't wipe it for literally a few minutes after cutting say some onions and tomatoes it will instantly rust?

Or just a nice patina, which I personally think looks spank as hell?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:50 am 
Site Admin

Most of these knives are clad with soft iron and that is what is so reactive but they're fairly reactive and just need to be dried after you use them and wash them. Once you get into the habit it's not a problem.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:22 am 

Dave Kinogie wrote:I know all carbon will be and from just reading reviews, comments and such on a wide range of knives it feels like Blue is especially reactive, but will these be so high maintenance where if I'm prepping and don't wipe it for literally a few minutes after cutting say some onions and tomatoes it will instantly rust?

They won't necessarily rust in that short a time (at least I've never had it happen that quickly) but they can leave dark edges on the next couple of cuts if left for a few minutes without a wipe down after something like onions or tomatoes. It's like the onion or tomato juice left on the knife turns dark from the reaction and gets re-deposited on the next cut. Just a quick wipe before putting the knife down is really all that is needed to prevent that. If you're not stopping long enough to have to put your knife down, then it most likely won't be an issue.

Like Mark said, once you get used to wiping down the blade (and really every blade is different, you'll learn when yours needs it) it will be second nature and not something you really think about anymore.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:26 am 
Forum Moderator

The Tanaka KU performs very well and the Tanaka Sekiso is also a great Nakiri, too! Both are all carbon. The Kurouchi one is more rustic and the Sekiso is more refined, but both cut very well. The grinds on both are really nice, but you may need to soften the spine/choil area with sandpaper. The Tojiro Shirogami is nice, but much thicker. The Yamashin was also thicker and had a lefty bias on the grind, which I don't care for, but most people don't notice. Masakage Mizu should be nice as well. Katsushige also looks like a very nice blade, too! I tried the SS clad gyuto and it performed very well: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kaankusuna.html

The Goko is clad in stainless, but looks to be a very nice Nakiri. Takes a wicked edge, too.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:48 pm 

Thanks guys, keep it coming.

And yeah, I'm already in the habit of wiping my knife down a lot anyway, just sometimes I can put it down for 5 or 10 minutes and forget when I'm multitasking.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:05 pm 
Forum Moderator

Dave - I'm testing some Nakiri's for upcoming Quick Look videos. I don't have the Tanaka KU or Sekiso for testing (wish I did :-)), but the Goko Nakiri: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/gosa16.html was head and shoulders above the $70-90 models that I'm trying out. It just cut far better and I think it really outperforms it's price point. Very nice Nakiri!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:25 pm 
Forum Moderator

I will check out some of the quick look videos and see if I can do one for the Tanaka Nakiri's.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:31 pm 

Goko Nakiri: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/gona16.html

Steve linked to the santoku, but I am sure it is a fine santoku as well. ;) lol

Overall, Goko seems like a hard one to beat as far as bang for the buck is concerned.

Page 1 of 5 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next