It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:59 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Stropping ?'s
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:50 pm 

I just received some 1 mic diamond spray from Mark and simply love it. Used it on both smooth bovine on the EP and freehand for a straight razor. I'm expecting some .50 and .25 spray first of the week and would like to know others' stropping regimens. Smooth leather, rough, felt, etc. I haven't tried the balsa yet and see mixed thoughts on it (like everything else!). Wondering if luan would do similar, since it's fairly porous. I'll try that today and see what happens. My current sharpening regimen (for the good stuff) on the EP is:

400 Chosera (if needed)
800 Chosera (if needed)
2000 Chosera
5000 Chosera
10000 Chosera
1 mic HA diamond spray on smooth leather
.5 CrO2 (powder and alky mix with a spray) on smooth leather
Debur with hard block (thanks Mark) in between

I've started using really light strokes, especially with the finer grits, and when I get to the 5000, everything is edge trailing. That seems to have made a huge difference in sharpness.

No complaints about sharp, just looking for more (ain't we all?) I haven't tried the CBN stuff so can't speak to that, but am always interested in what others have to say.

Thanks, hope everyone has a great weekend!!!

Rich

We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........

Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

Post subject: Re: Stropping ?'s
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:55 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Rich,

I've used all the substrates on the site and they all have different attributes. The cool thing about strops is they can give you a customized edge.

Balsa is a really good substrate because it's cheap, easy to maintain, and holds the compound. It works great for both diamond sprays and pastes and that's why I put it in a set along with the horse leather as a final strop. That set is very popular for newbies.

For really high grit compounds I prefer the nano cloth and the roo.

Mark

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:06 pm 
Forum Moderator

I can attest to that also: nano-cloth is the best fine-compound substrate I've used to date. Absolutely great for the fine stuff as it lets the compound shine through much better.

Balsa is the best all-around IMO. I even like using plain balsa, it works great. Going from Balsa, to nano, to leather would be the best progression of substrates IMO.

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:37 pm 
Forum Moderator

I'm in the process of doing some collaborative experiments with Clay of Wicked Edge using my compounds on nanocloth. While I was pleasantly surprised with the incredible finish that I got with the 0.125 micron CBN on nanocloth, what was also surprising was how the nanocloth also contributed to a more 'pure' effect on coarser compounds.

For comparison here's a 10k Chocera edge:

and

1 micron diamond on cow leather

and 0.125 micron CBN on nanocloth:

---
Ken

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:58 pm 
Site Admin

That last shot is incredible. I've never seen an edge completely devoid of scratches before.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:31 pm 
Forum Moderator

I will probably piss everyone off by this but i found a two sided strop made out of tanned cowhide on one side and red Latigo leather on the other side and it is by far the best strop I have ever used its 2 foot long with a handle on one side and hook on the other and when or if it ever wears out I will buy another hands down it has out preformed every strop I have ever used without any chemicals at all I'd I could post a picture I would the only thing I have found close is the handamerican horsehide and hand tanned leather but If you got a 12 inch knife you don't have to change position. Btw I still love the handamerican products and use them every day especially on my razors. Peace jmbullman

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 7:01 am 
Forum Moderator

"That last shot is incredible. I've never seen an edge completely devoid of scratches before."

Yes it really is. It might be an excellent picture to put on the site for the Nanocloth AND the 0.125 micron CBN product listings. In fact the next step in looking at the finer compounds is going beyond the limits of light microscopy and some Scanning Electron Micrographs are possibly in the near future :)

---
Ken

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 12:42 pm 

Ken,

What steel is that?

Thanks.

We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........

Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 4:50 pm 

That is unrealistically polished. Crazy!

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 10:53 pm 
Forum Moderator

"Ken,

What steel is that?

Thanks."

Clay of Wicked edge actually was the one who took the pictures using the compounds on the strops. The only information I have about the steel is that it was done on a utility blade, as it mentions in the legend area of the pictures.

Ken

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next