It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:54 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Sharpening Low End Knives
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:26 am 

I need practice sharpening, and was wondering how to go about sharpening my super dull cheapo Henckels set. They have been honed occassionally on a steel rod, but nothing else for 5 years of semi-daily use.

There is one chef knife and 2 cleavers (one light/one heavy).

Should I start with a 400 stone and then a 1000? This will influence my decision on what stones to get for the ultimate goal of sharpening the Anryu knife...I don't want to buy equipment that wouldn't be useful for the new knife obviously.

Post subject: Re: Sharpening Low End Knives
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:08 am 
Forum Moderator

MATTISON <> The 400 Latte is a great starting point for you on your dull Henkels... and on hard steel, as well. Just be sure to work methodically & monitor your progress regularly. A 400 stone can take off a lot of steel fast, and if you're not experienced, you can end up reprofiling a knife quickly. This can be daunting to correct at that skill level, but it is great experience.

There is a STONE SET <--link that holds the aforementioned stone, as well as a reliably performing 1k... the Ume 1k. The Ume will give you a functional edge on your soft steel although I would strop them on the 5k Rika, to finish. Your soft steels will not benefit from the full monty on the 5k, but polishing off the 1k teeth, a bit, will help refine your edge past that 1k bite.

On hard steel that can support the edge, that 5k Rika is an amazingly effective, as well as, pleasurable stone to work with, and the set I link to above is a very versatile bang for your buck.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:42 pm 

Those heavy Henckels cleavers will give you a workout on a 400ish stone. So be patient.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:47 pm 

Thanks guys. In interest of cash I'm going to start with the latte and ume stones. I'll add a 5k stone in a month or two. Appreciate the help, as always.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:46 am 
Forum Moderator

Especially on your dull heavy cleaver consider a coarser stone 150 Bamboo or even the 60 grit Ume. It will save you a lot of time. Otherwise you will put a lot of wear on the 400.

---
Ken

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:14 am 

i found it was fast to use my bench grinder then refine edge after that lol

I refuse to sharpen cheap "china" (or nothing at all for the what kinda steal it is) steal with the expect of Buck knives have decent steal in most cases

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:46 pm 

+1 on the Nubatama 150.....but be carefull. You will remove ALOT of metal quickly.

Douglas

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:30 pm 
Forum Moderator

If you're not planning on continuing to use the cheap cleavers, I wouldn't buy a stone specifically to sharpen it. Just saying, I don't know if you are or aren't.....just throwing it out there.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:47 pm 

Your not ever going to need a 150 for your Anyru unless your doing a major repair even then you'll probably have a diamond plate you could use. A 400, 1k, 5k would be a good progression for you Anyru and you won't need the 400 unless your doing a little thinning. The 400 would be a good place to start on your very dull Henckels to practice on.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:05 pm 
Site Admin

I would personally do 400, 2K or something similar. That would give you a nice working edge.

Chefknivestogo Blog

Page 1 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next