It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:38 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Knife recommendation
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:48 pm 

I'm with Adam, I like the TKC better for a starter knife but the Hiromoto is a good knife.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:46 pm 

Thanks to all for the expert advise. Actually pulled the trigger too late for the Richmond Laser...now OOS. Would be a great feature for the CKTG website to show how many of an item remains similar to Amazon, but that may be more complex than it sounds.

Not disappointed at all though. Just bought the Kohestu instead. Probably better for my first J knife anyway. I realize from your comments that this knife is not to be used for cutting through frozen stuff or I to bone. What about hard vegetables like a butternut squash or debearding celery root? Do I need to go back to my Henkels for that? If so, is there a j knife that is better suited for the more heavy duty tasks?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:28 pm 

"What about hard vegetables like a butternut squash or debearding celery root? Do I need to go back to my Henkels for that? If so, is there a j knife that is better suited for the more heavy duty tasks?"

The edges are delicate relative to softer, thicker cutlery, but they are still steel. Square board contact, with no lateral loading on the edge is critical. This is part of good knife technique. If you are confident in your skills and mindful of your technique, some of these harder tasks are perfectly doable with a j-knife. If you have you feel you are still developing, use the Henckle in the meantime and come back to try with the Kohetsu later. Since you are also learning to sharpen along the way, maybe exercise extra caution because repairing a chipped edge takes a lot of confidence on the sharpening stone.

In the end, I think you will find this knife can do anything you learn to do with it. Just remember it is a different tool than you are used to and allow some room for a learning curve.

Page 2 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2