It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:04 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Koishi Nakiri near the ocean?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:55 pm 
Site Admin

Hi,
I am interested in the Koishi Nakiri knife. I was impressed with your video but your selection is so huge I didn't have time to read about all the others in that category. I'm sure most are better than my Global veg knife.
I read conflicting info about the knife. Ii says carbon steel with stainless laminate. Does that mean no rusting or some rusting? I am concerned because I live in the caribbean where everything rusts. If it is prone to rust is there anything to help prevent it without using oil?
When I moved here 25 years ago I brought some all carbon knives from my culinary school days but eventually had to store them away. What is your opinion?
Also are there any Nakiri knives in the same price range (or less expensive), sharp & good looking you can suggest I consider?
I am left handed so only 50/50 blade and symmetrical (or left handed) handle.
I'll make my decision tomorrow.

Thanks,
Herb

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Koishi Nakiri near the ocean?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:00 pm 

Stainless clad/laminated means only the exposed carbon edge is prone to rusting and staining. Typically keeping it dry will prevent rust, and it will develop a patina that will further protect it. That being said, if you live in a really humid area that will rust even dry steel, oil might be the only real way to protect it if it will not be used for a bit. With every day use it might not matter, but then again I don't live in the Caribbean so I could be wrong. It might be safer to look at some of the stainless options.

Post subject: Re: Koishi Nakiri near the ocean?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:01 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Herb,

The edge on these knives is carbon and will rust if you don't care for it or oil it. If you use the knife everyday it's not a big deal. If you put it away for a few weeks you need to oil it.

If you're looking for a good stainless nakiri in the same general price range here are a few I like very much and all of these are fully stainless blades:

Kanehiro Ginsan: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kagina16.html

Konosuke HH: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kostna18.html

Takayuki Hammered: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/satadana160.html

Chefknivestogo Blog

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]