It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:04 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Takamura Migaki 210mm Gyuto
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:00 am 

I saw the Takamura in another thread where he recommended it. I didn't want to hijack that thread so I thought I'd ask about it here. lol

Knife in question: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/takamura.html

How easy or hard is the R-2 stainless to sharpen? I'm sure it won't be like white #1, but is it something that has to be ground on all day to get anywhere?

What kind of performance does the Migaki R-2 offer?

I'm loving the red handle. It looks gorgeous in that pic!

This knife is the only western handled, non-rustic, stainless gyuto that has me thinking twice about ordering the Goko... lol

I'm also curious if Mark stole 'em or other sites are just stealing from their customers. The price at CKtG is at least $100-$150 less than other sites with the same knife! lol

If I had the money now I'd order one before he came to his senses... of course then there is the risk of being killed in my sleep by my wife after she found out. :P

Post subject: Re: Takamura Migaki 210mm Gyuto
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:08 pm 
Forum Moderator

I've never seen this particular knife....so I'm going to comment on R-2 only.

I've found nearly all powdered steels like R-2 to be somewhat more difficult to sharpen than say white, or AEB-L, or 52100. I feel as though the alloying of these steels makes them retain burr's more tenaciously than less alloyed steels.

They aren't that much more difficult to grind away....especially in a thin cross-section like a kitchen knife. Now, if you had to do some serious thinning...that could be different. But normal sharpening....the grinding portion isn't really at all difficult.

If you've never owned a powdered steel knife, you should try one. These seem quite opportune at that price point too. Powdered steels tend to loose their initial sharpness a touch....then stay sharp for a long time.....typically longer than steels like white, AEBL, etc.

p.s. I've risked death many times....and lived. :)

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:46 pm 
Site Admin

I'm giving these away at the moment and I'll have to raise the price after a couple more days to be in the same ballpark as my competitors or they'll all cry like big babies to Takamura and get me in trouble with them. They're AWESOME knives and after Saturday you won't see them at this price again. Very thin with gorgeous grinds and very nice fit on the beautiful wood handles they installed.

As Adam said they are more work to sharpen but if you're descent that just means it will take you 10 minutes instead of 7 to sharpen them. You need to make sure you get and remove the burr between each stone and you can't jump through your progression too quickly. The ceramic based stones cut this steel better than the others. So shaptons and naniwa choseras do well with this steel.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:11 pm 

Aww... there's no way I'll have it by Saturday or I'd definitely get one, but thanks for the info!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:32 pm 
Site Admin

You already have something coming. ;)

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:10 pm 

Recently bought my wife a Tojiro dp to introduce her to japanese knives and she loves it. I was planning on upgrading her down the line but this knife looks just like what she is looking for. How heavy is it? Is it thin behind the edge or does it look like it would need thinning right away?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:16 pm 

I would be a great time to get her a $250 to $300 knife for $150. lol

My wife loves it when I buy her stuff... I think she loves it even more when I save money on it! ;)

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]