It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:36 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Your edge and how you got there
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:09 am 
Forum Moderator

Here's a thread devoted to all of the great looking edges that we all work so hard on.

Hours and countless more hours get put into making a thin mirror line at the edge of our cutting tools....Some people just don't understand! So here's to you; Show off your goods, and most important, let us know what sharpening stone progression you used to get there.

Post away, let's have fun with this! :D :D :D

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

Post subject: Re: Your edge and how you got there
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:00 am 
Forum Moderator

If I could get my phone to post I had ricksha michiel do it for me sine my computer is down. Jmbullman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:11 am 
Forum Moderator

Oh now we're talking!

Moritaka that was used for testing the aesthetic finish of a Coticule:

What a crisp EDC should look like imo:

Richmond Remedy at 8k:

Addict 1:

400x image of my edges:

Belgian Sharpening
Facebook

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:28 pm 
Forum Moderator

Nice! What is the edge on the Addict #1?

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:33 pm 
Forum Moderator

8k Snow White

Belgian Sharpening
Facebook

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:37 am 
Forum Moderator

Looks beautiful michiel you are a worthy opponent and have my deepest respect. Haha your still da best James

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:44 pm 
Forum Moderator

I never used your edges. For all I know you're better than I am. but we both have an open mind to test new stuff and have a method that just works. By combining these 2, we get new and interesting results.

Belgian Sharpening
Facebook

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:06 pm 
Forum Moderator

Agreed I will go out and say most of this forum are prolific knife sharpeners and have skill when combined with each others skills can produce unbeatable edges. I fell like I just gave a pep talk to the avengers. Just call me iron man. Haha peace jmbullman

Post subject: Durable edge
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 1:36 am 

This is a Global belonging to my knife abusing mother after sharpening as follows:

IMAG0200crop.jpg [166.08 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

Picture 7x loupe in front of my phone camera.

JCK 1k/4k 14 degrees primary bevel
Naniwa snow white 8k 22 degrees secondary bevel (shiny bit ~ 1/10mm)
Strop 0.5 CrOx on balsa 22 degrees

I know it won't last, but it was relaxing/rewarding to do it anyway.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 2:15 pm 

I'll try to be brief:
All my life used two arkansas stones (mainly med.) and sharpened less expensive pocket knives (under $20). Got to where I could shave hair with a couple of passes on my arm and was very happy.

Few years ago got interested in better knives with better steel. The VERY old stones I had took forever to make a dent in the edge so I realized I needed new and better sharpening tools.

Got a DMT aligner system and was VERY happy with it and all of DMT products. After learning more about edge angles I found the aligner was holding some blades off line, putting different angles on opposite sides of the knife. They were really really sharp though. So, I ended up getting an Edge Pro sharpener and will probably use it until I die. I touch up slightly dull knives with ceramic stones and strops.

So, now I can reprofile/sharpen any knife putting any angle/multiple angles on a knife that I want. The stones I've used so far are the water stones that come with the EP, MOLDMASTER and FLEX stones from Congresstools.com. I also mounted the Spyderco 5" ceramic med and fine stones to a blank to use on the EP. I use a combination of the stones to get the angle and very smooth bevels (but not quite mirror) on a knife. The FLEX stones result in the closest to mirror finish I have gotten with stones. The MOLDMASTER stones leave a foggy looking finish with a very small, very consistant scratch pattern that is easily removed to leave a nice mirror bevel. The biggest problem I've had with stones is after getting an ok mirror finish, sometimes there are random scratches on the bevels. Like a tiny tiny stone was embedded in the sharpening stone. I can reduce that problem by flattening (lapping) the stones more often. That was a learning curve. I use the stuff you get from EDGE PRO to flatten my stones right now. It's really cheap and works. I have considered getting more expensive flattening diamond stones but haven't yet.

Stropping. I have always made my own strops. I buy leather and glue it to wood then apply diamond paste. I have 6 diamond pastes that I use. Three from DMT (6, 3 and 1 micron). I have used DMT products for a few years and never saw a need to switch as I am 100% happy with every product I've gotten from them. I recently got a selection of very inexpensive pastes I got on ebay. I tried these because they are VERY inexpensive. I got coarse grits of 28, 14 and 5 micron pastes. The ebay seller has between 10 and 15 different grits to choose from. I use the coarse grit pastes for a better and easier (in my opinion) progression from stones to stropping and finish up with the 3 micron DMT paste. That does a great job and can't see any better result from the 1 micron paste. That's with a 60x loupe or the naked eye. I can go outside and see the reflection of tree branches and leaves above my head with no random scratches.

This has been a learning process and I doubt very seriously if I am done learning. I'll also be spending money on stuff that I don't really need, just want to try. Sometimes that is a waste of money and sometimes it is a godsend.

Jack
PS
I don't have anything but a phone camera. It is not good enough to get close up pictures that will show knife edges. The edges I've seen here are VERY beautiful and the sharpener should be proud of them.

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next