It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:35 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Needing to pick a 240mm Gyuto
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:53 pm 

Hello!

After (too) much research I think I finally have my short list for our first Gyuto (in home use). I am a lefty, the wife is right handed. We prefer stainless or semi over carbon. Leaning toward a western handle, but only because that is all we know. We don't want to spend more than $280 on this knife -- but I feel there is plenty to choose from in this price range. I will be hand sharpening the knife and don't mind the maintence, but I don't want to be paranoid about taking care of it either. The wife hates a back seat driver in the kitchen :oops:

MAC Pro - I like the idea of US customer support (but maybe not necessary). I have also read that the blade is "stiff." Will that be a good thing for an all around knife, or does that compromise the performace of a Japanese knife? FWIW We will be using a Victorinox as our "beater."

Masamoto VG - I like the profile, but wonder about the POM handle. Is it "cheapish" compared to wooden handles?

Kikuichi TKC - I like the idea of how easy it is to sharpen compared to the other two, but I have read that specifically the 240mm model has significant rusting happening under the handle. I am not wanting to rehandle a knife. Is this truly a concern? Also, is the performance worth an $40 over the other two?

Can Mark or someone explain the pros and cons of these knives. Is there another knife that would offer more "wow factor"? Taking into account the home use, right and left hand, stainless/semi, comparable profile (I like a little more height in the heel), and edge holding capability (we want to buy right the first time, so that it lasts a lifetime).

Thanks so much for your expertise! Really appreciate the help in making (what I didn't realize to be) a huge decision.

Post subject: Re: Needing to pick a 240mm Gyuto
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:14 pm 

Have a tkc, performs awesome, is very thin, and fantastic to sharpen. This rust story seems to go around but according to people on this forum, and my experience, it is not an issue with this knife as a general proposition. Dry the handle when you are done before you put it away thoroughly like you would any knife, including stainless. There may well have been someone who had this happen, but you have no idea how they treated their knife. If a stainless knife is left wet repeatedly and for long periods it too will rust.

This question with these and a few other contenders comes up pretty frequently, and usually the recommendations come out in favor of the tkc for this price area. I love mine unconditionally.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:06 pm 

I own a Mac Superior santoku. It is a good knife, but every knife I've purchased from CKTG since impresses me more...I might try one of the other two.

From what I have read, the Kikuichi is an awesome knife. If I were looking to buy from this line up, I would likely go that route.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:36 pm 

A knife with very good steel, stainless, easy to sharpen and some WOW factor.

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/satadagy240.html

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:07 am 

Technically, there is no such thing as stainless, just stain-resistant. A lot of people on this site like the Konosuke HD series - great steel, great edge-taking and holding ability, and it's a Konosuke. I have the HD Nakiri, so I can vouch for the steel, feel, and fit-n-finish of the series. I think you would like the wa handle, too.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:48 pm 
Forum Moderator

Depending on use, nearly every knife can rust under the handle. I've rehandled....well, a lot of kitchen knives and even when brand new MANY are somewhat rusted under the handle. That said, I've rehandled a hand full of TKC's and they were no different than any other knives.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:50 pm 
Forum Moderator

Ditto what Adam said! I did some 30 yr old Carbon Sabs and some 1-2yr old Stainless Japanese Knives with new handles; the Japanese knives were almost as bad under the scales as the carbon Sabs were!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:45 pm 

Ok so, ALL knives will rust if we don't take care of them so we should always ensure proper care. Got it. Does that make the TKC the winner over the MAC Pro and the Moto VG? I love the idea of a laser, like the Konsuke HD, but I am brand new to sharpening and I think something that thin may require an added skill I haven't reached quite yet. Again, I am grateful for your feedback. As I read these forums, I learn a lot. But there is still something about having specific advice for MY situation (or at least it is easier to wrap my head around it.)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:11 pm 

Personally I would go TKC all day long over the other two on your list.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:44 pm 
Forum Moderator

Yeah, I'm with Jeff....TKC is an amazing knife.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]