It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:10 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: looking for a good gyuto
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:50 pm 

i'm looking for a solid knife to become my go to for prep and on the line.

1. Are you right handed? indeed
2. What type of knife are you interested in (gyuto, nakiri etc..) gyuto
3. What size knife are you looking for? 210 maybe 240
4. Do you prefer carbon or stainless steel? leaning towards either AEB-L or clad aogami super but i'm open
5. Do you prefer a western handle or a Japanese handle? japanese
6. How much did you want to spend?around 200 to 300
7. Do you know how to sharpen? yup

I also like a medium to tall height on a thin to medium blade with a nice flat belly. I've been looking at the Masakage Koishi 210 its slightly more than i was planning on spending but I haven't ruled it out(I like the finish quite a bit), also the Kikuichi Swedish Warikomi Damascus Gyuto seems interesting.

Post subject: Re: looking for a good gyuto
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:03 pm 

If Mark would get some more in this would be right up your ally! http://www.chefknivestogo.com/taik24dagy.html

This is a nice AEB-L knife. http://www.chefknivestogo.com/satadagy240.html

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:12 am 
Forum Moderator

The Ikeda is pretty nice looking!! I wasn't really a fan of the KS profile until I tried one and loved it!

Others to look at! Kohetsu 210mm is a nice, thin knife, good flat spot. The Kohetsu 240mm is a little thicker/beefier, but still very light weight and performs very well. Excellent edge holding on the Kohetsu series as well. The Richmond AS Laser 240mm is an awesome AS core/SS clad knife, but is VERY thin behind the edge. I loaned mine out to a friend and he was scared to use it on the line due to the thinness. The Masakage Koishi is a bit thicker/heavier than the other blades and a good workhorse.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:17 pm 

Many great knives to choose from. You mentioned th massakage, you like the finish a lot, slightly more, but haven't ruled it out. I suggest you purchase the one you really want even if its just slightly more. If you don't get it this time, you will keep looking at it. If you are looking for permission to click the buy it now button, I'm giving it to you. ;) I have one of these in a petty, it's a very good knife and I don't think you'd be disappointed.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:29 pm 
Forum Moderator

The Richmond Laser (either AS or AEB-L) would work. However, I don't think the AS version is in stock ATM.

Takeda Sasanoha 210 is right at your upper budget limit:

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/taassame21.html

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:31 pm 

It will just barely fit your budget but the Takeda 210 is a fantastic knife that is quite tall and has an excellent reputation. I've had one for a couple of weeks now & love it. It's also a real head-turner, at least in the original finish. It is carbon all over, though, so extra care will need to be taken to keep it clean & dry. The stainless-clad Takedas are priced slightly more than the Koishi's. Takeda-san is also known for making his blades slightly longer than the stated specifications.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:14 pm 

Thanks for all the advice everybody but, I think RedWattle has convinced me. Well played sir.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]