It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:57 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Knife comparison
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:02 pm 
VIP Member

I am considering the Misono UX 10 Santoku 180mm and the Masamoto Santoku 180mm.

Can you tell me more about these knives and their differences?

Post subject: Re: Knife comparison
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:15 pm 
Forum Moderator

Misono UX10 is known for it's impeccable fit & finish. They use, or at least did, nickel silver for the bolster. It's a well made knife. However, it's kind of spendy for what you get these days.

Masamoto I'm going to assume you mean the VG version. Good knife, good F&F, good steel, good grind. A better value over the UX10 in my opinion.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:49 pm 

Both fine knives will be comparable. The Misono UX10 with its full tang and bolster will feel substantially more robust than the Masamoto. Cutting performance will probably pretty comparable. I would also recommend the Kohetsu in your choices. The Aogami Super steel with stainless cladding makes for a good knife. The edge will patina and react a bit but that is a small price to pay for ease of sharpening and edge retaining abilities.

I have nothing against either of the knives you mentioned. The Kohetsu will feel and perform like a much higher end knife than the Misono or Masamoto. The Kohetsu is lighter than both knifes but that makes for all day comfort. If this if for a home chef with light hours in the kitchen then I think the Kohetsu will knock your socks off. I've been totally blown away by the Kohetsu Gyuto.

To answer your question without trying to sound too snide...I believe the difference between the two is simply a preference of economics and aesthetic qualities. Either one will work. But I think the Kohetsu has a more virtuous spirit then either of the two you mentioned. Again all subjective. You might also want to consider a 210 Gyuto for a little more utility.

If this knife is primarily going to be used for veggies then a Santoku will make you smile.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:19 pm 

The two knives are very comparable and the Masamoto will leave you with $45 still in your pocket.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]