It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:24 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Just ordered my first blade from CKTG !
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:38 am 

After several months of consideration I have finally decided on a Masakage Yuki Gyuto 210mm !

This is my first "real" knife and I am beyond excited to get it !

Post subject: Re: Just ordered my first blade from CKTG !
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:21 am 

Good pick! Have fun!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:27 am 

Great choice i ordered a yuki sujihiki 270mm maybe sometime next week for
my delivery can't wait

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:14 pm 
Forum Moderator

Jay - as many probably know from my posts, I have that knife and it's absolutely fabulous. It's a great looking, great performing, piece of handmade craftsmanship with some soul to it. Please post back here after you get it and let us know what you think. Great pick!

I decided last evening to do a real sharpening touch up on the Suehiro Rika 5K stone. My 1st actual sharpening since getting the knife in February - I've been stropping on various things, including a dry Rika stone and testing out the Idahone fine ceramic for touch ups as well. Spent just a few minutes on the Rika and she's now got a really sharp, nice toothy edge back on 'er. I'll test out the new edge this evening - prepping dinner.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:45 pm 

Hi Steve ! You make the quick reviews, right ? If so, I based my decision on those videos, great job !

I was seriously considering a Konosuke, but I think I made the right decision for my needs. (ease of maintenance & rookie sharpener)

I am a photographer so I will take some nice pics for anyone that is interested soon ! Just got the email that the order was processed ! :D :D

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:02 pm 
Forum Moderator

Hi Jay - yes I do the Quick Look videos. Thanks for the compliment. I leave the knife performance videos to others like Shaun. My knife skills are OK, but they're definitely not ready for showing on camera any time soon :-).

If you're interested, I posted some photos of my Yuki soon after I got it. They're in the Photos forum - you'll need to go back a couple of pages. Love to see some of your images - the Yuki is a photogenic subject :-).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:08 pm 
Forum Moderator

Welcome to the addiction!! LOL...your post should be the first blade of many!!!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:17 pm 

That's a great first knife! May as well start with one of the best!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:22 pm 

Congrats. I was going to order that knife but I decided to go with the Kohetsu. I think you will be blown away by Japanese blade thinness and strength. Just remember to get some proper sharpening goodies. It's not a knife you want to bang on a steel like every amateur line cook and even pro chefs seem to do all too frequently.

I don't think you will have to sharpen it too frequently. Just don't try to saw through frozen stuff. Cutting hard things like squash won't be a problem but push cut it with a steady motion. Any rocking on hard fruits and veggies could possibly chip the blade. The beauty of fine japanese steel is that edges will be chippy instead of simply flopping over like cheap stamped knives.

If you are making reference to Shun in your username...Get ready to put the Shun in the drawer. Heheheh.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:11 am 

Thanks everyone !

I am looking over the three stone kit picked out by Mr Knife Fanatic, probably going to be my 2nd purchase next weekend.

I do own two Shun's (JayShun just worked, name is Jason lol) and they have honestly been pretty good overall. I did get my 8" classic replaced after it chipped pretty bad but other than that no issues to speak of. I was itching to get something a bit more serious and now I won't have any issues letting the wife use the Shuns now ! LOL

Page 1 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next