It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:38 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Sharpening Tools - Anryu Kuruochi
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:57 pm 

Ok, so I've decided on the Anryu Kuruochi. Now that this (3 week in the making) decision has been made, I need some advice on sharpening tools.

I will likely be practicing for the first 3-4 months on my other cheap knives. Looking at prices, I'm probably looking at buying one stone and some stropping equip, and then adding another stone later.

Would it make sense to start with a Shapton Glass 1k (or would the Pro be better?) and then add a 2.5 or 5k stone later?

What would a good beginner strop be? Leather? Maybe with a 1 micron spray of some sort?

Thanks in advance!

Post subject: Re: Sharpening Tools - Anryu Kuruochi
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:52 pm 

IMHO Shaptons don't make for great beginner stones due to their rather limited feedback. I personally started on the bester 1.2k and I love that stone it has a great feel to it and will give you a sick edge in no time. Just my $.02

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:18 am 

I like the Shapton glass, I use it fairly often. Something that will help determine which stone to buy is what kind of edge to want to maintain. Highly refined or slightly toothy, etc. if I had to start with just one stone and a strop I'd get a green brick and a balsa strop with boron carbide paste. That's my two cents... Maybe specify what type of edge you are looking for.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:23 am 

The reason I say the green brick first is that if your knife is new it will already be sharp. If you keep it maintained, it will be awhile before you need to drop to a lower grit unless you do something drastic.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:54 am 

One of the best starter sets there is. http://www.chefknivestogo.com/4pcshstset.html
Still two of my favorite stones. The 6k is my favorite finisher yet.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:55 am 

Jeff B wrote:One of the best starter sets there is. http://www.chefknivestogo.com/4pcshstset.html
Still two of my favorite stones. The 6k is my favorite finisher yet.

+1

Though I love the Naniwa green brick it is not a stand alone stone and would be much to fine for a new edge. Though called a 2k the green brick is basically a 4k stone and cuts like one.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:04 am 
Forum Moderator

I think you should hold off on a strop for the moment. Focus on the 1k first. This is where you need to develop your skill. Now if you are starting off on crap knives, you should have something coarser.

To me the minimum set is a 1k and a coarse diamond plate to keep the stone flat AND to do coarse work. Consider the Atoma 140 or the DMT XXC for this task (I prefer the Atoma). This is a minimalist's set.

Which 1k? This is a subject of endless debate - Kings , Shaptons, Nubatamas, Choceras (Naniwa) and Besters are the ones you hear the most. Kings are cheap and many start here. I don't care for them that much - too much suffering.

Shaptons - These are hard stones and demand precision. For my tastes, this precision serves you well to acquire precision early on. More important than water and mud management skills. They are also splash and go so very convenient. Besters require long soaking and I feel this is too distracting. Again my opinion.

The Chocera 1k is also a good first stone. Smooth feel. Requires some soaking.

Nubatamas - Here we have ~ 9 choices with a wide price range. A bargain is the Nubatama Bamboo gold stone. Highly recommended as a first stone. The 1k Nubatama speckled Ume is probably my favorite stone of the series. In medium hardness it is a bit more forgiving than the Shaptons, develops mud nicely and doesn't require long soaks. The Bamboo gold is just a shade harder than the speckled ume. The white 1k Bamboo is a bit pricey but an excellent stone. The 1200 is soft and muddy - excellent but not a first stone. The larger 1k green Bamboo and Black Ume are also a bit softer than the speckled ume, my first choice.

---
Ken

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]