It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:26 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 3 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: 2k stones
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:41 pm 

Probably overthinking this - but still debating a 2k stone for my german knives. The green brick seems to be a good choice, but I don't really need a 'brick'. I suspect I'll be long buried before it gets anywhere near used up - so... is the 2k superstone a realistic fascimile in more compact format?

Post subject: Re: 2k stones
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:53 pm 
Forum Moderator

There will be a NEW 2k Nubatama coming in that should be sensational! It is an Ume series stone similar to the 1k Speckled Ume - one of the more popular stones.

This stone will work for a variety of knives. I have one of them and more coming in to Mark.

---
Ken

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:12 am 

I really like the green brick. Yes it is a brick. There's a lot of product there. That just makes it an even better value. It does work well with German steel. One advantage of it being so thick, you don't feel so bad flattening it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:14 am 

Very interesting - on a similar subject: what are the Kanji on the 1k ume medium? I made out a 'new', and my daughter who's taking japanese tells me one of the others is 'ken', so what is the 3rd? Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:29 am 
Forum Moderator

'To' Pronounced to as in Tow truck, not 'two' You are the first person to have ever asked this :) Thus 'Kento'.

To as in toishi (sharpening stone). This is a custom formulation that I had made specifically to fill what I perceived as a gap in the Nubatama lineup.
The 2k Bamboo is an expensive stone - superb for a baseline for natural stones as a followup.
The Black 2k Ume is a superb stone much like the green brick but a bit softer, but still pricey.
The Speckled 2k Ume is a regular sized stone and more general purpose with hardness characteristics much like the
Ume speckled medium hardness 1k - which is ideal for most knife users needs at an affordable price. When they come in, I suspect they will be very popular.

---
Ken

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:31 am 
Forum Moderator

And no, it is not named after me :)

---
Ken

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:51 am 

I have the Shapton Pro 2K and think it is one of the best 2k stones on the market. I tried the Green Brick and liked it but the Shapton edged it out. For the price the Pro 2k is an excellent stone.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:26 am 
Forum Moderator

"... edged it out ..." Stone sharpening humor.

I like the expression :)

---
Ken

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:47 am 

I like the green brick as well. I stop after it on softer steel knives (aka my GF's crappy knives :P )

Chris

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:37 pm 

'And no, it is not named after me :)

---
Ken'

Ha - that thought did momentarily pass through my mind - but isn't a different set of symbols used for transliterating non-Japanese words and names?

Page 1 of 3 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next