It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:11 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Kanehiro Ginsan & Kono Fuji Blue #2 Gyutos
PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:57 pm 

Mark sent me these knives to do videos on. :shock: I don't want to send them back, but oh well. :(
Critique/feedback would be great: Like/dislike/want & don't want in future vids, music choice, ect.
More to come.

Kanehiro Ginsan:<--link

Konosuke Fujiyama Blue #2:<--link

Post subject: Re: Kanehiro Ginsan & Kono Fuji Blue #2 Gyutos
PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:36 pm 

Wow....

Great videos, I love the amount of technique and skills you show in the video and the large variation in ingredients!

Kudos!

Cheers...

Todd in Chicago

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:02 pm 
Site Admin

Great video! Thanks very much. I like how you take some time to show the knife at the beginning and I also really like your music selections. You've got excellent knife skills as well.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:20 pm 

Nice Skills!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:20 pm 
Forum Moderator

1987 <> Totally constructive:

Don't think I'm averse to electronica; I spun deep dark trance at a few Florida clubs in Fort Lauderdale, Boca Raton, Sunrise, & Hollywood during the late 90's & early oughts, but I find the 1980's-miami-house-dubstep-remix offensive. It has no soul & IMO resonates in no way with fine Japanese cutlery. The jazzy-downtempo-drum-n-bass track is slightly better, but...

I feel background should be paid more attention to as tile:wood:rug junctions & strewn about towels are quite distracting to the frame.

Really though, as for likes/dislikes, it all depends on what the purpose of the video is. Shaun has his reviews, Steve has his "quick-looks", Aaron has his machine gunning clips, these are focused to do what... you know.

I did appreciate your attention to lens focus on rotating subjects with changing backgrounds.

Just my $.02

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:14 am 

I think what Melampus is saying is that he wants you to use J-pop in your next vid. :P lol

I personally like the music in the first vid more than the stuff in the second vid, but it didn't really seem to fit the knife. Didn't detract from the vid for me at all though. I will say probably the best music selection I have heard in one of the vids I have seen (I think it was a fairly recent customer vid) was the Dr. Greenthumb instrumental. A little repetitive, but it added to the video and was used to great effect with strategic starts and stops throughout.
Here it is for reference: kohetsu-240mm-t4236.html

The backgrounds probably could have been better if you want to get picky, but overall I think it is my favorite vid of this type so far and I think it might be the way he used the music in the vid. It probably helps that I loved Cypress Hill as a teen as well... lol

I also prefer the shots in both vids where the board takes up most of the screen area and gives a nice contrast to the knife. My least favorite shots were over the glass top table and place mat.

Very good job overall, and very nice knife skills! :)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:20 pm 
Site Admin

What's your little white dog's name? I loved in that Kohetsu video when he was walking through the shot. :)

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:44 pm 

Not sure which is better - your knife skills or your video skills! [And for those who don't like the music, every device I own has a volume control - can't speak for others, of course!]
I have the Kono Fujiyama reviewed and find it to be every bit as good as portrayed in the video ....
Thanks!
Tom

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:38 pm 

Tpbrewton wrote:... [And for those who don't like the music, every device I own has a volume control - can't speak for others, of course!]

He asked for feedback so we gave him some feedback! :P lol

Music can be used to great effect in video and enhance it when done right. :D

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:30 pm 

Thanks for the compliments! Melampus & DefMunky made excellent observations/suggestions. Maybe I'll go for something slower & less frenetic as far as the music goes.

Chefknivestogo wrote: What's your little white dog's name? I loved in that Kohetsu video when he was walking through the shot. :)

She's a Bishon Frise & her name is Jill. Her brother Jack makes an appearance in the Kono vid at around 2:10, although you can't really see him. Also, my Chihuahua is in the Kono vid as well. Can anyone spot her? You have to put it in HD to spot her :lol: sorta blurry. At least on my screen she is.

Are the Richmonds or anyone else dog lovers as well?

Page 1 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next