It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:36 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Yoshihiro Yauji 210 Gyuto
PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:14 am 

Has anyone tried this knife? Is it more of a laser or have some heft to it? How is the fit n finish?

Post subject: Re: Yoshihiro Yauji 210 Gyuto
PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:17 pm 
Forum Moderator

It's a single bevel gyuto. Fairly lightweight, but from what I remember, slightly thicker at the spine due to the single bevel. The back is hollow ground, so it's ground like a Deba or Yanagiba; single bevel on one side, slightly hollowed back on the other and steers a good bit. I tried it on a potato and it curved pretty hard. Mark is trying to have the same maker do some double bevel stuff I think! F&F was very nice.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:52 pm 
Forum Moderator

DNM <> I have refrained from talking much about this knife because I really wanted to love it... but don't. We had a member here, though I'm sure he still lurks, of whom loved to bash The Mod for only talking in complimentary fashion about the knives on the CKTG menu. I do subscribe to the premise of, "don't speak if you have nothing good to say," but my moral compass has been known to cross poles. I'm one to speak my mind regardless of what end of the spectrum it resides. This knife pissed me off... because I desperately wanted to love it. Isaiah knocked the friggin Wa's out of the park... I WANT ONE OF THEM on the next knife I buy that I will have to pull the handle off (e.g., ebony or stabilized). This knife, as expected, can take a sick single bevel edge, but the steering is just too dramatic for a Western kitchen.., or at least any of my kitchens. The W#2 was confusing as all hell; it stunk like no other carbon I've ever encountered while being disturbingly stubborn to develop any patina. I had to throw out a lot of fruit during testing due to reactive transfer. I enjoyed the profile; I liked the upswept spine. It was simply a knife that I wanted to wow me because it has spirit - you can feel it. I felt it's soul, but something is missing. And thus, I was left disheartened... disappointed.. angry.

I could go on, but that's more than enough.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:31 pm 

Thanks, appreciate the info. Always good to hear the bad with the good...single bevel knife probably isn't for me in any case!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:41 am 

Melampus said:
I'm one to speak my mind regardless of what end of the spectrum it resides.

:lol: :o :shock: :roll: ;)
Which, in all seriousness, is one of the things I love about you. An honest opinion and appraisal is priceless. You have educated me more than you know, Melampus, especially after I have made such (in hindsight) stupid statements as, "Blue steel trumps white" - written based on reading, not experience, which is kinda like doing surgery after reading about it instead of being taught how to do it. I have to say that I now love, love, love White #1 steel, as well as Konosuke HD steel, not that Aogami isn't awesome still, and my once beloved Wüsthof sucks ze beeg one. :cry:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:11 pm 
Site Admin

I'm planning on taking Mr. Yauji to dinner when I visit this spring and I'm going to work with him to come out with a different knife using different grinds and steels. He's really good but I would love to see him do a stainless clad double beveled knife. Single bevel knives are nice but not very popular and really should stick with traditional profiles if he wants to do them. I'm one of his only customers and I really want to help him get his career started.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:45 am 

I think the Yauji would be a great gyuto in a 50/50 bevel.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:19 am 
Forum Moderator

I felt the knife. I mean... I felt the knife. Many know of my beliefs, most do not, but I BELIEVE there is a part of a bladesmith in his work... it never fades. In the quantum physical context, whereas everything distills down to the atom... the smallest unit of matter.. a truly intelligent design to which all of evolution is aligned; everything consists of Atoms, and then everything is, in fact, electrons. And if everything is simply forms of energy, then we are all, everything, interconnected ultimately.

Its a soulful knife, but something is missing. For me.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:32 am 

Interesting knife as a single bevel gyuto. I can imagine how much this knife could steer when using French cutting technique. Mel is probably correct that it won't work in a western kitchen. I wonder if the design may excel in a sushi bar? It looks thin enough to cut maki with the tip and single bevel would help when cutting fish for nigiri and katsuramaki. It may balance both Japanese and western knife characteristics so it may not be necessary to keep 2 knives on your station. This may be the answer to the "Ultimate knife For Sushi Chefs" topic.
what-is-the-ultimate-knife-for-sushi-chefs-t4216.html

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:51 am 
Forum Moderator

When I first checked it out, the grind was awesome, finish on the knife was very good and clean looking and looked beautiful, but it steered pretty hard. Going thru soft proteins would probably be fine with the knife, but in most cases, a single beveled gyuto just doesn't work. Looking forward if Mark can have them do a double beveled knife though!!

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]