It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:19 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: What Bread Knife would you recommend?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:08 pm 
Site Admin

On 4/30/2012 2:27 PM, Luis wrote:
> Hi Mark
>
> What bread knife would you recommend for super crusty bread?
>
> Thanks
> Luis

Hi Luis,

I just started a new forum for Chefknivestogo. Do you mind if I use your question and my answer? It will help others who read it. I'll only use your first name if I post it.

I really like the Tojiro ITK Bread knife. It has a great shape and nice serrations with a good handle. It's also only $60.
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/toitkbrkn.html

Kind Regards,
Mark Richmond
ChefKnivesToGo.com
(608) 232-1137
Visit our Website
Visit us on Facebook

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: What Bread Knife would you recommend?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:42 pm 
Forum Moderator

the Tojiro ITK Bread knife. This is a top choice. I like the Shun and Mac bread knives, but the extra length vs the Shun and MUCH lower price make it an easy choice. I use mine all the time.

---
Ken

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 5:06 pm 

Yep. Little to no crumbs.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:26 pm 

also in the tojiro line the DP 215 serrated is an amazing bread knife that whizzes through bread.

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/todpbrkn21.html

i use this knife all the time and am badgered by co workers asking to use it. in fact, since i brought this knife in, 3 other co workers have purchased it. well worth it.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:57 pm 

I have a 230mm Wusthof bread knife that does a great job. More expensive than the Tojiro, although you may find a good price for it on eBay.

However, on the recommendation of a chef I respect, a guy who is REALLY into Japanese culinary knives, I've found that a Gyuto does a heck of a good job on crusty bread. Try it.

~Voltaire

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 12:19 pm 

I believe that a gyuto must not be used for a crusty loaf. I have damaged two of my knives to learn this lesson. The crust is one of the most hard things for a very thin Japanese knife's edge. You must definitelly use a bread (serrated) knife for this purpose. Three factors are important for choosing a bread knife:
a) It must not be composed by a very hard steel (not very high HRC, 58-60 is good) in order to be tollerant (resilient) to hard staff.
b) It must be long, in order to be able to use it from big bread loafs to pastry (e.g. cakes)
c) It must not be very expensive because its lifetime (due to limitations of its sharpening) is much shorter to a gyuto's.

I have three good bread knives: A Shun Kaji Fusion 9", a Henckel Zwilling Miyabi 9 ½“ and a Tojiro 270mm ITK. The three factors are met by my Tojiro and this is my recommendation for you.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]