It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:14 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Artifex vs Fujiwara. Which should I buy?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:55 pm 
Site Admin

Hello Mark,

My name is Terence and I am considering purchasing a couple of knives from your store. At present I use a Wusthof Chinese Chef's knife (20cm) and a Tojiro DP Santoku (17cm) The knives I am considering are your Richmond Artifex 210mm OR the Fujiwara 210mm Gyuto. I am also considering the popular CCK Cleaver.

I have a question about the Richmond.

The specifications on your web page state that it is a convex grind, but has a 15 degree V edge. I am new to knives in general and trying to learn as fast as I can, so please excuse me if this is a silly question! It confuses me that the grind is convex and the edge is V. Can you explain this? Also, what does this mean when I need to sharpen the knife at some point? Does it require special skill/tools to sharpen? Currently I use Japanese stones (120 and 1000/3000 combination) and am relatively inexperienced at this (though managing to get a decent edge that is close to shave sharp, but not ala Murray Carter!). I should say the Tojiro sharpens a little better than the Wusthof (Carter 3 finger test used and also paper test); this concerns me a little in buying the Fujiwara insofar as the steel used might be similar to the Wusthof?

I would really appreciate some guidance from you in this respect.

On another note, I live in London and was wondering what shipping might cost for these items plus a stone?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,
Terence

Chefknivestogo New Arrivals

Post subject: Re: Artifex vs Fujiwara. Which should I buy?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:55 pm 
Site Admin

Ok, the convex grind refers to the full blade from the spine to where the edge starts. Then the edge is ground in a V shape. The reason we do this is a V edge is easier to replicate on stones and provides a nice, crisp edge. The convexing on the blade allows you to cut through food without a lot of sticking.

I like the steel on my knife better than the Fujiwara. AEB-L was originally developed for razors and it has tiny carbides and will take a really nice edge. It's also harder so edge retention should be better. The handle on the Fujiwara is a little nicer since it has a bolster which I prefer to mine but this adds a lot to the cost which is why the Artifex is less money and would be my preference.

Chefknivestogo New Arrivals

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:34 am 
Forum Moderator

I have a Fuji 270 Suji and 270 Gyuto in Carbon and a couple Artifex's. I would go with the Artifex. The stock handle is comfy and feels lighter than the bolstered knives. The F&F on the handle is great, and the spine is nicely rounded. The grinds are a bit cleaner/more consistent on the Artifex. The Artifex takes a wicked edge very close to carbon steels, which I love.

If you can wait a bit, there will be an Artifex at CKTG with an upgraded Stabilized Maple Burl handle on it :)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:29 pm 
Forum Moderator

I have several fujis and most of the richmonds in aeb-l I would go with the artifex every time mark will be getting a set next week with a tip thats cut a little higher up if u like to use ur tip a lot like I do if so just tell him thats the one or order a regular artifex ur call. Jmbullman

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]