It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:59 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: What is the ultimate knife for sushi chefs?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:18 pm 

As far as the ultimate sushi knife a good kiritsuki can accomplish most sushi techniques, but be Carefull, in Japan only the head chefs are aloud to use one so you could upset a purist

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:14 am 
Forum Moderator

Chris - a very nice looking knife but more of a sujihiki shape. More for cutting rolls or general purpose in a western style kitchen, but not ideal for slicing sushi.

Cheflivengood - I wouldn't recommend a secondary edge or microbevel on a yanagi. If the steel is incapable of sustaining a more acute angle, you might use a hamaguri grind. If you are using it for an appropriate task ( not chopping for instance), it will still be more acute than a double bevel, but lack the extreme acuteness the knife could be capable of providing. Secondary bevels (microbevels) require a good bit of metal removal to remove, so it is best used judiciously if at all. For an Usuba, I would strongly recommend against this.

---
Ken

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:41 pm 

Ken- I agree for those with the required knife skills that a micro bevel isn't necessary,especially since a good sushi chef sharpens twice a day, but for a beginner even putting to much pressure on a pull on the boards most restaurants can afford, the yanagi will look serrated

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:25 pm 

I have tons to learn about the Japanese style and different blades. I appreciate the comments and your time. Is there somewhere that shows the names and differing shapes to the blades?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:11 pm 

I do not put microbevel on my yanagiba or usuba. Microbevels and compound bevels can be found on debas and kiritsuke s (still on the topic of single bevels) but it is usually the chefs' preference. You may witness chefs that increase the angle slightly on the last few swipes on the stone. The burr or wire edge still needs to be removed completely. This is slightly different than a microbevel as a microbevel is used to increase the strength of the cutting edge. These knives are low impact and have minimal contact with the cutting board. Most the work is done in hand or above/over the board without touching the knife to it. They do not require microbevels.

Here is an example of an ideal all around sushi knife. It won't cut maki well; but would be outstanding for traditional Japanese cuisine.
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kofuwh1ya27.html

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:40 pm 

Thanks, Atang. Lot's of good info here.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:48 pm 

Z-knives has a pretty good knife glossary.
Here is a link showing the different names for wa Bocho anatomy
http://zknives.com/knives/kitchen/misc/jbladeant.shtml

Here is a link to the knife glossary.
http://zknives.com/knives/kitchen/misc/ ... ndex.shtml

Hope this helps.

Page 2 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2