It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:42 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Second stone- help me decide
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:29 pm 

I have been getting consistent results on the bester 1200, and am very happy with them, but the taste of sharper is to sweet to resist. Knife wise i have an fkm petty, a carbonext gyuto (probably to change to carbon or hd for a silly reason), and my old german chef knife. and will be adding another knife or two pretty soon (they are herd animals after all).

Basically i am looking for the 'next' stone in the progression. and what are the merits of a 3 vs 4 stone kit (leaning 4). And if going with a 4 stone kit, what would you use for the 2 higher grit stones. I have been reading up on the suehiro 5k and the arashiyama 6k for the next stone, but am defiantly open to suggestions.

Post subject: Re: Second stone- help me decide
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:41 pm 

Build on the Bester 1200 with the Suehiro Rika 5k. If you feel the need for a coarse stone to set your bevel or repair chips, the Beston 500 fits in well. Those three should be all you need for kitchen knives. If you want a higher grit, I'd suggest a Naniwa SuperStone 10k, but you really don't need anything higher - 5k is a good stopping place.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:58 pm 
Site Admin

I agree with the Rika. It's a good stone and a good match for the beston 1200. Here's the Suhiro Rika for those that are reading along.
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/suri50grst.html

Next stone after that I would recommend a lower grit stone that cuts fast. The Chosera 400 is a good choice as is the Beston 500
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/beston500.html

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:21 pm 

Rika. Similar feeling stone, so you won't have to learn to get used to it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:11 am 

I got the rika today, thanks Mark! Short soak, flattened, and 3 knives sharpened. This slope of sharpening is getting really slick.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:23 am 
Site Admin

I'm glad you got it. :)

Let us know if you have any other questions. I use the Rika all the time and really enjoy it.

Chefknivestogo Blog

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]