It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:14 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Leather mounted on glass instead of wood
PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:43 pm 

Definately some good looking strops MR. I have a piece of glass that is 4"x16". It is 3/16" thick. I'm going to get a piece of leather to cover it. I like MR's idea of the wood backing for clearance and you get the additional protection if I drop it. That's a pretty big strop. I have one on a 2x4 that is 3.5"x12" and it is plenty big. I thought about cutting the glass in half but I'd rather the strop be longer than 8". So if I cut it I'd probably cut it at 12". I can always cut it later so for now I'll just make a 4x16" strop. I'm wanting this one to to be as flat as possible to use for my straight razor. I'm getting the edge on my two razors shave ready now but I'l like one or two strops to use when honing them. For now I'm going to use a strop or two as a substitute for a stone finer grit than 8k. The finest stone I have is a Shapton glass 8k. I'm thinking after that I could use a 1 micron and .5 micron strop instead of another stone. The 2x4 strop I have has boron carbide 1 micron on one side and CBN .5 micron on the other with horse hide. I'd like to have a couple of larger strops of kangaroo hide but those kangaroo's are pretty greedy when selling their skin. :)

Jack

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:20 am 

Rookie, how did you bevel the edges of the float glass? Your setup is very clean, professional looking.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:27 am 
Forum Moderator

I asked the glazing place where I had it cut to size, to slightly bevel the edges for me - not really necessary but eliminates the sharp edges while mounting it.

:)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:47 pm 

MadRookie wrote:I asked the glazing place where I had it cut to size, to slightly bevel the edges for me - not really necessary but eliminates the sharp edges while mounting it.

:)

I plan on getting some glass at Lowe's. They will cut what I buy into smaller pieces but can't bevel the edges. I have a Dremel and carbide bits. Does anyone know if they will do it?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:01 pm 

I'm not sure I would go at the edge of a piece of glass with a dremel and grinding/cutting disks/bits. Seems like there would be some definite chipping or heat stress to the glass. I would probably try to find a local glass place and see how much it would cost for them to do it. Seems like there would need to be some water or something involved in the grinding and possibly a special abrasive used to prevent the heat and chipping. On the other hand, if you just want to remove the sharp edges, some fine sand paper or emery cloth might work fine. That would be quite a bit gentler and safer on the glass than high speed tools with carbide bits. ;)

If you do decide to do it with the dremel, wear a mask so you don't inhale any glass dust and some eye protection just in case chips do fly off.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:50 pm 

I like the 3x11 Nanocloth and Roo strops on glass , lots of surface area to work with , and with razors you get nice long stropping motions without the risk of rounding off your edge. For razors I think I would go for roo over the nanocloth , that way you get the burnishing effect as well.

For compound I would go to 1u and 0.3u aluminum oxide from Ken , I hear its doing really well with the straight razor crowd. Supposedly more comfortable than CBN or Diamond given a similar particle size. And at a very palatable cost. You can get it down to 0.05 micron as well IIRC.

I think I will be grabbing all three sizes of AlOx from Ken here in the next month or so , I have the sneaking suspicion that my Christmas/birthday presents are straight razor related this year , so I finally have an excuse to start going down that rabbit hole , and to start getting some full size stones as well.

:D

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:16 am 
Forum Moderator

My personal preference is for glass backing for extreme flatness followed closely by Aluminum and then wood. Mark will be getting nanocloth and Kangaroo strops shortly in 3x8" with magnetic backing for those requiring a less breakable solution. I feel that anywhere you would use a stone that glass has about the same risk of breakage. Apparently Shapton Glassstones agree :)

3x11" balsa+ magnetic backed strops are also available for nanocloth and 'roo.

I like the Kangaroo and nanocloth also because since they are thin you also get that extra bit of precision that a thicker leather doesn't give. I lioke them for a number of other reasons (finer, etc) too :)

I find that using the glass backed strops in a stoneholder gives you good clearance, but those individually wood backed strops do look pretty.

---
Ken

Page 2 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2