It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:46 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Fujiwara FKM or Richmond Artifex?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:28 pm 
Site Admin

Hi CKTG/Mark,

I'm a student in the UK, looking to treat myself to a nice knife - either be a Fujiwara FKM or your Richmond Artifex Gyuto (210mm). I'm hoping I could get some suggestions from you especially with regards to a sharpening stone. Unfortunately, even a student treat is rather budget constrained, especially after shipping costs are in as well.

1. Experience: I've got no experience sharpening knives, but I do know from reading that it's time to learn.

2. Wants and needs: I would like a set-up that could serve me a couple of years of light cooking (1 meal a day). I'm not ready to buy a set of many stones, and I wonder if there is a low-cost way to get a decent edge (in other words, could I make do for years on a 1000 grit stone?). I'm not intending to bring out the highest performance on these knives with high grit stones, but I would love to hear your advice on what a sustainable set-up could be. In the future, with more savings and experience I may choose to add stones.

I know that stones themselves need sanding after a while, and if there won't be a stone that can last for years without maintenance, I need a way to maintain the stone cheaply as well (maybe sandpaper?). Of course, I won't discount alternatives, such as using a ceramic rod to maintain the knife instead of sharpening (looks like a cheap option to me), but I don't have enough knowledge to know if it's a good plan.

Hope you can help, and thanks.
Marcus

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Fujiwara FKM or Richmond Artifex?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:45 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Marcus,

Both knives would work well for you. My knife has better quality steel and the Fujiwara has a nicer handle and really nice grinds in this price range.

For a stone get a simple combo stone like this one: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/imtwosi1kst.html

You can save money by using coarse 120 grit sandpaper to keep the stone flat.

Good luck!

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:56 pm 

"My knife has better quality steel and the Fujiwara has a nicer handle and really nice grinds in this price range."

+1

The Artifex has great steel but it does not shine until you thin the blade a bit with a stone. The Fujiwara is probably a better performer out of the box, but it is a lesser steel. The Fujiwara does have a nice looking handle.

Mark's suggestion of a combo water stone is a great entry. If you would rather buy a standard size stone, a 1000-2000 edge is a usable edge for kitchen tasks. A 1k/5k seems the standard grit progression for typical kitchen use, but some steels can't really take advantage of the 5k stone, so don't feel like you have to go that high.

Mark also mentioned using sand paper on a flat surface to true up the waterstone, you can actually sharpen a knife this way too. It is called the scary sharp method, google it, there are plenty of videos and blog posts about how to do it. It is probably no cheaper in the long run. You will go through sand paper fairly quickly, but it is a stop gap if you have a constrained budget.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:12 pm 
Forum Moderator

+1 to what Mark and Cedar said. :) Knowing you don't have the skills and equipment to thin the Artifex, I think the Fujiwara makes a better intro to Japanese knives.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:03 am 

Hi guys, I'm the one who posed the questions. I initially PMed Mark on facebook because I was kinda lazy to make an account but now I can't not say thanks for the suggestions.

I thought the videos of the Artifex were awesome (can't get the tomato slicing one out of my head), and I think its a little thinner and lighter than the competition at the price. I know it's quite unlikely that I'll be able to bring out it's full potential, but I'll probably want to buy the better steel anyway. Will keep thinking though!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:12 pm 
Forum Moderator

Welcome and enjoy whatever knife purchase you make. They're all great knives and the fun of using them is what keeps us nuts coming back. :)

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:15 pm 
Site Admin

If you choose the finish sharpen option on the Artifex my employee Josh will thin the knife a bit and steepen the angle of the edge and it will perform better out of the box.

You know, I never thought this knife would be our top selling knife on the site when I made it. It's remarkable how fast it's taken off.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:31 pm 

chefknivestogo wrote:You know, I never thought this knife would be our top selling knife on the site when I made it. It's remarkable how fast it's taken off.

I guess that's what you get when you make a decent knife and sell it at a decent price. ;)

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]