It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:34 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Konosuke Blue 2 gyuto vs funi gyuto?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:33 pm 
Site Admin

Hi,

I love the Konosuke series I already have a Konosuke HD laser 240mm gyuto and I was looking at the Konosuke Fujiyama Blue #2 Gyuto 240mm and Konosuke Fujiwara Blue #2 Funayuki/Gyuto 240mm. I'm not sure which one to choose from. Please if you can help that would be great.

Thank you

Chris

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Konosuke Blue 2 gyuto vs funi gyuto?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:39 pm 
Site Admin

Hey Chris,

There is a small difference in the profile of the two knives and it's minor and the best one depends on your use habits.

I developed the funi/gyuto because several of my pro cook customers told me they wanted to have the profile a little flatter with more board coverage and a larger flat spot along the edge. This knife is better for those that push cut. The standard gyuto has a little more belly so if you find yourself rocking the knife more this would be a slightly better profile.

Most home users don't use their knives enough to make a big difference by my pro customers use them all day and it does make a difference to them.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:14 pm 
Forum Moderator

I have gyuto's in both styles similar to what you're looking at and I agree with Mark as a home user. I can tell the difference, but when I grab for a gyuto, I don't distinguish based on the profile really.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:47 pm 

I have the Funayuki/Gyuto in 240 and had a concern about the flatter profile. No issues at all, if anything I like the larger flat spot.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:08 pm 

Besides the flatter profile, the funiyuki also has a pointier tip, if that matters to you. I've got the Kono Fuji regular profile, and HD Funy. Love them both (though I love the Fujiyama more, but it's a more expensive, more finely crafted knife, so not a totally fair comparison).

My guess is that you'll be quite happy with either one.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:38 pm 

I'm a push cutter and I rock through ingredients so I prefer the flatter heeled knives as well. If the heel isn't flat it leaves me with a lot more connected pieces which drives me crazy. lol My rocking style isn't straight up and down though. It is kinda like the connecting arm on a steam locomotive's wheels, if that makes sense. Kind of a slicing rock. If you rock straight up and down, the rounder heel would probably be more comfortable as it would be less likely to "thump" when reaching the bottom of the cut.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]