It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:41 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Inconsistent honing results between razors
PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:52 am 

Do people come upon razors in seemingly good condition that they just can't get to shave well? I have a 6/8 full hollow Clauss that had very little hone wear, with a very strait edge, that just can't get to a good shave. I have five others, two of which with very similar grinds and sizes that shave great, so I doubt it is my equipment. I use bester 1200, arashiyama 6k, imanishi 10k, jyunsyouhonyama, and a nakayama asagi just in case it helps to know.

I have tried multiple times to get it right, so unless I have been incredibly inconsistent in my technique with just this one razor it shouldn't be that. I use the circles followed by x strokes technique.

I thought maybe the previous user used a lot of tape on the spine altering the geometry, but I have now set the bevel multiple times on my bester 1200. I would have thought that would be fixed by now.

Does anybody else get razors they just can't get right? Is it time to give up on this guy?

Post subject: Re: Inconsistent honing results between razors
PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:07 am 

I had one...a Boker Red Injun that I bought at an antique store. I tried probably 8-10 times to hone it. It would cut arm hair at 1k then go to crap at higher grits. For me it ended up being poor technique and an incomplete bevel set. I used the sharpie test AND a loupe to check the edge. I was using the sharpie before but the line that was left was too thin for me to see without magnification. It also highlighted the fact that I wasn't making good contact at the toe. I did eventually get it set and it gives me a little bit of extra satisfaction when I use it knowing what a pain in the ass it was at first! Keep at it and you'll have it poppin' hairs in no time!

Chris

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:40 pm 

Mine takes the refinement up the stones, passes hanging hair, tree tops arm hair. It's just when I shave it performs poorly. Doesn't get close, required repeated passes, and is generally uncomfortable. I really thought I had it yesterday, but once again a poor shave. Had to clean it up with my Geneva, which is money in the bank, every time.

My only thought is that the geometry of the edge is still off. Not sure if I should take it to a lower grit or what. A little frustrated with what seems to be an awesome razor.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:35 pm 

you need to set the bevel.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:37 pm 

also consider getting a 3k stone. jumping from 1k to 6k is a far jump on low grit. it means you need to work alot on the 6k to remove the scratches from the 1200.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:54 pm 

Been thinking about a 3K for this reason, also to finish some of my softer steel knives on. Any one in particular? There doesnt seem to be a lot of options. While I hear great things about the chocera, 120 dollars for a single stone in a grit range I dont anticipate using all that much is more than I can do.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:55 pm 

Yes I will continue trying to set the bevel a few more times, I have probably done it seven times now, but it still isnt right and I am not ready to dump it yet.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:13 am 

You can get a naniwa SS 3k from Mark here at cktg for a good pice. The ss stones are fast cutting and great for straights.

You know you have the bevel set when you see the 1200grit scratches goes all the way from edge to top of bevel. Long even scratch pattern is what to look for.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:13 pm 

Right. I only have a loupe for magnification so it is tough to get a great idea of how even the bevel is ground. I have tried zooming with my phone with the loupe but it's hard to get a steady picture.

I have a feeling that the microscope users would be able to make some serious improvements to my edges. Still 5/6 are great shavers, all from eBay which people seem to frown on. I think it's done me pretty well.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:20 pm 

get yourself a cheap 60x to 100x loupe. thay work great.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/60X-100X-Zoomable-Lighted-Microscope-Magnifier-Magnifying-Glass-Jewelry-Loupe-Y3-/200999138806?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item2ecc7b75f6

Page 1 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next