It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:49 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Looking for a Tojiro knife...
PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:37 pm 
Site Admin

Hi,

I am looking for a Tojiro knife, but I am not sure which one to get. I am looking for a all purpose knife, super sharp knife to cut tomatoes, potatoes, brocolli and cutting meats. A knife that doesn't chip like Shun knives. Something stronger. Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Ben

Chefknivestogo New Arrivals

Post subject: Re: Looking for a Tojiro knife...
PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:48 pm 

Well, the Tojiro DP line has a VG10 core just like the Shuns, so that may not be a good route. The ITK is white #2 which might chip as well. That is the curse of very hard steel. Maybe one of the wa gyutos in the Tojiro hammered carbon series? http://www.chefknivestogo.com/tohaca.html

From what I can see they are made from SK-5 steel, and a little research shows that it is similar to like a 1080~1095 carbon steel which is known for strength and taking a good edge which is why many, many, MANY outdoor/survival knives are made from it (1080 and 1095 steel that is, lol). So if it is like those two it should be pretty strong. It is probably hardened to maybe mid to high 50s on the rockwell scale, so the edge would be more likely to roll than chip. Just a guess about the hardness of the SK-5 though. As far as cutting performance of these particular Tojiros, I have no clue.

I can't help but think that there may be a better knife for what you want in another brand. Are you married to the idea of getting a Tojiro specifically or are you open to other knives? Do you want to stay with stainless or do you mind carbon steels?

Also, what are you cutting that is chipping the edge? Normal use shouldn't be chipping anything. Normally that only happens if the knife strikes something hard while cutting, and takes a little force. It could be possible any Japanese knife would do the same thing depending on what is being done.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:19 am 

thanks for the info.

I think your right, I may need to look for another brand to fit my needs. How are the german knives? I was thinking of the Wusthof classic 8 inch wide cook's knife. do they chip? any recommendation for other brands?

I was thinking of Tojiro because I thought their Santoku and Deba series may fit the bill of sharp and chip proof. chop and dice without worrying about being chip if I do hit something hard. I brought a Shun 7" Asian chef knife, my friend used it to separate lamb chops then i saw it got chipped.

-ben

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:57 am 

I think if you bought something in AEB-L steel that would take care of your problem.

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/satadagy210.html

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:38 am 

Yeah, the AEB-L would probably a better choice of steel than VG10 if you're looking to curb chipping. Plus the knife Jeff linked to is drop dead gorgeous! lol ;)

I still love the ripples on clear water look it has.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:33 pm 
Forum Moderator

AEB-L should be less chippy. Another option is to put a stronger bevel on the blade.

If you're going to be rough on a knife like you describe, I wouldn't really recommend that steel either. A soft western steel like found in the Wusthof Classic's or the Fibrox knives or some such would be more up your alley.

High hardness blades, as we typically use and recommend on this forum, are not intended for really rough stuff like breaking bones, twisting in joints, cutting frozen foods, etc. They do make knives with these steels that can do these things, but then they suck at normal prep because they're so thick.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:54 pm 

I can personally vouch for the Forschner's/Victorinox Fibrox 8" chef's knife.

A thin blade so it cuts well (worked very well for butterflying thick chicken breasts), inexpensive stainless so it is strong and resistant to abuse, plus it can take a decent edge. Not the same kind of edge the harder steels can take (I'm finding white #1 gets kinda scary, lol), but it is VERY usable and takes to a standard knife steel very well, meaning the edge can be straightened easily between sharpenings because it rolls/deflects rather than chipping.

I rarely had to sharpen or even strop mine with regular home use (pretty much cooking supper every day), just ran it on steel every few uses and the edge was good again. Separating chicken (including removing the spine in a couple of cases), cutting pork spare ribs St. Louis style, separating pork and beef ribs, etc. were no problem. Plus, it is a very inexpensive knife so even if something tragic did happen to it you probably won't be inclined to cry over it like a $150+ knife... or maybe that's just me... lol ;)

The handle also retains a great grip even when wet or you have chicken goo on your hands, and cleans off easily.

I'm keeping mine available as a beater knife in case I have to do something I am not comfortable doing with my Japanese blades if that means anything about the strength. :)

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]