It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:07 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 4 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: >> Most of the inventory... <<
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:46 am 

Nice Collection...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:15 am 

Mel, what are your favorites in your collection?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:45 pm 

You're a madman.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:42 am 
Forum Moderator

MOWGS <> I work in a few kitchens so I keep some knives in different locations, I relegate German steel to my personal house as I’m never there & its safer for others, the duplicates that I’ve amassed for various reasons are stored in a warehouse, and I typically rotate through whatever stock I have in whatever location I am, by business. If I’m weeded nonstop & really don’t have time to sharpen & stropping is not doing enough, I will rotate through the line up.

It has its pros & cons. It’s nice to always stay on your toes with different knives’ personalities, but it’s also nice to be with the same girl day in & out for years & years to solidify the relationship. I have spent plenty of years stuck on one knife with an unwavering grip, but for the past few I’ve been doing my best to keep it fresh. I have my favorites, but I try to rotate the line up regardless. Then obviously, I will choose a specific knife simply due to its synergy with the day’s prep list.

MAUS <> Sayas, sheathes, cases, drawers, cabinets, blocks, tool boxes, and most often in the summer - my suitcase.

VECTRON <> Thank you, sir. Really, they’re just tools.

TONY <> When I said I despise bling, I meant it. No burl, no mokume, no mammoth, no silver/copper, none of that shit that wastes hard-earned money, adds absolutely nothing to function, & draws unnecessary attention. Just give me a blade… the handle is inconsequential.

PETE <> It was quite some work amassing & arranging it! “Glory’s only fleeting… already gone.” ;)

TIM <> I’m working on thinning the herd, but it grows quicker than the consolidation. :|

PLUMBER <> I bought my first knife in 1993, 2 years in-the-business. It is still in the kit… a 20cm Wusthof Avantgarde with my initials engraved in the blade face. I remember free-handing it & being infuriated w/Franky, the knife truck guy, who I bought the knife from, but he wouldn’t let me use his stencils… only the gun. I spent 1/4 of my damn check on the frigin knife & he wouldn’t let me use a damn stencil. :x

SEAN <> A few different states.

MATT <> I love my tools the same way you love yours, I’m sure. 8-)

JASON <> Favorite knife.?! Man, it’s too hard a question… it’s splitting hairs. I love all my knives, or else they’d be sold off. JK <> Suisin Inox Honyaki gyuto is most probably my favorite gyuto - fighting the Teruyasu, Konosuke HD is hands-down my favorite steel, the Kono Shironiko has nearly the IDENTICAL profile/geometry to the Suisins but there is simply a je ne sais quoi about the Suisin for me. Same with the Tadatsuna G3’s; almost identical to the Suisin’s, but I still prefer the Suisin. I can’t leave out the Masamoto because NOTHING feels like it. I hate to play out the cliché, but there is just something unexplainable about the KS. I have spent a long time speculating, and the best thing I can come up with is the distal taper & ensuing geometry. It has to be a perfect linear taper from tang to tip; there is seemingly ZERO variance in the degree in which it tapers. If it’s say 3% per mm, its EXACTLY 3% per mm! It just has a very unique personality. The steel has decent edge retention, I can shave my face with the edge, I love the D, I love the balance, I love the weight, I love the profile, I love… love.. love.

The Deba is a profile that I’ve been playing with for a year and a half. I can blow through fish with my curved Forschner 6” boning, but the edge has always died so I tried the Deba & the Tojiro Gokujo. I’m slower with the Deba, but I got to a point in my career where learning everything all over was really interesting to me. It is a beast how it gets through scaly skin, and I love using them on ducks/chickens/turkeys. The Honesuki pretty much annoys the hell out of me, but it is fun, too, cuz its so purpose specific. The Hankotsu I’m dying to embrace cuz I know if Im going to like something before I buy it, and that is a great frigin design… for me. The Gokujo was a bit wide for me to acclimate to at first, but it feels like the Forschners I used for so many frigin years… just much bigger – not as nimble, but great for almost any fish, trimming silver skin, breaking down rib loins, etc… The Tojiro Western Deba is truly a salmon’s nightmare; filleting it or steaking it… no reservations at any pass. It's awesome with portioning back ribs, and splitting off bone-in rib loin chops.

I don’t know… I could go on & on.. Ive used plenty more than I own, but then… I don’t keep them around for a reason.

One favorite… I don’t know if I could ever have just one favorite. Every woman has her own unique attributes, and to deny ones self of another’s is foolish… to me. I'll tell you this, I FAR PREFER the Konosuke Fujiyama Whites over the Blues. The Blue steel gets all the fanfare, but the Whites' grind & design is where it's at! 8-)

German <> Wusthof Avantgarde cook’s. I’ll always have a place in my heart for that damn knife. I spent just way too many years with, shed way too much blood from her in my career’s formative years…

DANNY <> I am an angry man. All work & no play makes Jack a dull boy... Image

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:33 pm 
Forum Moderator

....mmmm.....BRAGGART!!!

Cool dude, very cool.

:)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:45 pm 
Forum Moderator

MR <> The impetus is much more to assure our members I'm not talking out my ass as often is done by the armchair quarterbacks that have never picked up the knife their expounding on. I've played with a lot of knives, own a lot of knives, and rarely comment on a knife I haven't used. And if/when I do, I either state so or speak in the abstract about the concept in question.

What's cool dude, is that phucking Garreth Bull M390 Gyuto. Anytime you wanna yank that Wa off, and consider parting ways... I'm just across the pond. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:33 am 
Forum Moderator

....a very large pond I might add...

Yeah, rock solid foundation to input appropriately.

Love it!

:)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:52 am 

holy moly

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:33 pm 

Jealous

Wonderful looking collection :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:35 pm 

Wow! what a collection.