It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:40 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 3 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Knife Set for a wanna be foodie
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:47 pm 

. I’ve previously had the cheap stamped knives, but am looking to move up in quality. I want a nice forged set of knives that hold an edge well and are fairly easy to sharpen. My use will be in the home kitchen as I’m a foodie, but not a professional chef by any stretch. I’ve budgeted 500 – 700 dollars for this set. preferably without steak knives. I want a wood block with the ability to add more as I am able. Definitely need a good chef’s knife, bread knife, paring knife, and a steel. If it comes with a Santuku, great, if not, I can add later. Prefer that the blades are stain resistant and can withstand home kitchen use/abuse (will hand wash only of course). Would love to get some suggestions from the experts. Some of the brands that I've been looking at are of course the Wusthof's and Henkels, but also the F. Dick, Messermeister, Eberhart Schaff. Maybe I'm biased to German knives since I was born in Germany ;) Don't know much about Japanese knives, but open to suggestion. TIA for your help and suggestions!

Post subject: Re: Knife Set for a wanna be foodie
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:47 pm 

If you are willing to spend 600 to 700$$$ on a knife set i would really go for the shun set here
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kesh7pcsetwi.html
i know you said that you do like german knives but from my experience shun knives are much sharper and hold a great edge. I dont have this whole set but the 2 shuns i do have is perfect and had for over a year..

you can check out these german styles but personally i think you pay for what you get.
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/wugrprii8pcb.html
these are on sale too!!!
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/henckels- ... c-set.html

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:48 pm 

i hope this helped at all. just do a little research for yourself on these knives and i think you will be very satisfied :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:26 pm 

Thanks for the quick reply. The Shuns look quite nice! I've never used a knife with a round handle. Does help with control at all as compared to the traditional western handle? As for the cheaper Henkels and Wusthofs, I'll pass. I figure, get something I really want as I'll be "stuck" with them for many years!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:28 pm 

yes i agree with you completely. If you are spending quality money, get quality knives. And the handle of shuns just act as a alternative to comfortability. Its really not that much different but its a personal thing. It is made for right handed people (although they do make left handed ones) It is comfortable enough for me being right handed. I love my shun knives and once you learn how to sharpen them you really can't let them go. Let me know what you decide to do. I am looking for nice chef Knife too

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:01 pm 

Just a few questions to help flesh out what you are looking for. How tied to 'sets' of knives are you? Are you willing to learn to sharpen?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:25 pm 

Yes, I am willing to learn to sharpen them and have sharpened other knives before. As for the sets question, I would like to have a foundation set of 5-7 knives, and add others as I learn more from everyone.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:41 pm 

Hi. Well if I may ask, is a set really needed? You can easily get by with just a nice guyto, paring knife and bread knife. Then get some stones. A set is really nice and such, but at the end of the day how many will you really need and truth be told there are a few knives that are kind of the same almost. I'm not trying to detract you from a set, but I was just wondering if you personally would like to think about this. Hope this helps some.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:08 am 
Forum Moderator

I would get a nice 240mm gyuto (western or Wa handled, you have good control with either and the Wa will be lighter), a 120 or 150mm petty (no need to go crazy with the petty and stainless is good for fruits and stuff), Tojiro ITK Bread Knife, and a Nakiri for the veggies. I prefer carbon for all of my knives and wipe them quickly when I'm done, but for the Nakiri and Petty, stainless may be a good way to go, less maintenance issues. The 240mm gyuto will serve as a slicer.

I would look at the stainless Fujiwara 150mm Petty, Konosuke HD 240mm Wa Gyuto, Tojiro ITK Bread Knife and the Tojiro DP Nakiri. CKTG has a nice 3 stone set with a Bester 500, Bester 1200 and Rika 5K stone with a deburring block and eye loupe listed for $150 and a Shun Bamboo block for $60. This will run you less than $600 and you can add in a boning knife or Santoku if you want.

I use a Gyuto 65% of the time, a Nakiri 30% of the time and a Petty or Sujihiki or bread knife the other 5%. If the gyuto is thin enough, it works very well for veggies, so you may not need the Nakiri. I like the Nakiri because it saves on the wear and tear of the gyuto.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:32 am 

I think if you are going to be using for kitchen use, a set with a block is really nice knowing your expensive knives aren't going to be thrown around and you will always have a nice place to put them in (the block).

Page 1 of 3 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next