It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:08 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Which Takeda???
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:27 pm 

Hello CKTG fans:

I too love CKTG. I've been building a Japanese knife collection and Mark's been a big help.

Right now I have:

Konosuke HD 240 wa-gyuto
Konosuke HD 300 wa-sujihiki
Moritaka AS 150 petty
And... An interminably brawny 8 inch German (for the bone breaking)

As the title suggests, I really want a Takeda to add to the stable.

I'm thinking that the 270 gyuto would be a good addition, but I also have a fondness for the smaller knives -- the Banno kobocho looks like a fun knife.

I'm a serious (but amateur) cook. I have no specific need, just desire. I'm building a collection of knives that I like to use (and sharpen). What would you suggest?

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Which Takeda???
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:41 am 
Site Admin

Thanks for stopping by and saying hello! Takeda's gyutos are really fun to use and they perform great. They're big and tall so as long as you like that in a knife I recommend them all the time to people.

Richmond Laser

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:25 am 

perhaps a takeda cleaver? theyre considered to be one of the best. then maybe a konosuke fujiyama 270. just for the helluva it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:25 pm 

I like Takeda's small knives better, so go with your gut.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:37 pm 

I have the Takeda gyuto 240 and the banno bunka 160 (measures 180) and both are great. If you have a small work space and are dealing with smaller quantities a smaller knife is practical, but practicality is not always the objective. I use my takeda 240 for slicing, my banno bunka for chopping, my moritaka 240 gyuto when the job is slicing and chopping. Hope this helps

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:32 pm 

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

Regarding the gyuto, the height seems to be the deciding factor. While I have nothing specific to base this on, I don't think that I would be bothered by it as I have historically gravitated to taller blades when given the choice.

Burke: you say you prefer his small knives -- why is that? Any particular favorites?

Labor: you suggest the cleaver. It's tempting, but it's also really, really expensive. Is it worth it? I've been thinking about getting one of the Richmond cleavers. Is there a really compelling reason (aside from looking super cool) that one would spend $400 more on the Takeda cleaver?

Generally speaking, does anyone have any specific suggestions for smaller Takedas? I like the Moritaka petty a lot and tend to reach for it with great frequency when I am cooking. I'm not looking to replicate that, but perhaps supplement it.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:36 pm 
Site Admin

I like the banno bunka. It has a cool shape and a nice tip with a little belly so it can do almost anything. Takeda says this is his number one selling knife to Japanese customers (mostly home cooks).

Richmond Laser

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:35 pm 

The 210 Gyuto. cool little knife.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:49 pm 

I have several and love them all. I agree with Amen Burke that the 210 is a useful knife. My favorite, though, is the mioroshi bocho large. There is really nothing else quite like it.

“If one really wants to be master of an art, technical knowledge of it is not enough. One has to transcend technique so that the art becomes an ‘artless art’ growing out of the Unconscious.” Eugen Herrigel

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:46 pm 

Much to consider...

The Banno bunka seems to be popular across the web and I don't have anything with that kind of tip. The whole "home cook" thing is not a pejorative concept in my mind (as it is for some). It looks like it would be fun to use. One point of concern -- the width of the blade. Is wedging a problem? Or is this simply a case of 'use it for somethings, use other blades for other things'?

WickedSharp -- what do you like about the mioroshi bocho? What do you use it for?

And the 210 gyuto, what do you like about it that you prefer over he bigger gyutos? I had been considering a 180-210 wa petty, so I like the length.

Again, thanks for your shared wisdom!

Page 1 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next