It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:04 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: What progression should I use for my knives?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:35 pm 
Site Admin

By the way, I need your advice on Edge Pro set up. So far, I only have the stock stones, a Shapton GS 1000 and a diamond plate I got from you last time.

Most of my knives are stainless besides the Itto-Ryu, Kono Honyaki en the upcoming Hinoura. I just need a good edge for pro kitchen use. Which progression do you recommend?

I already a freehand balsa stropping set up plus 1 micron diamond spray. I should be ok for strop set up?

Thanks.

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: What progression should I use for my knives?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:40 pm 
Site Admin

It's best to experiment with them. The beauty of the Edge Pro is it allows you a repeatable system for sharpening and it takes wobbling pretty much out of the equation. Therefore, you can adjust your knives by using different combinations and then try it out and kind of dial in the edge you want.

For most of my knives I like a refined and toothy edge. I usually do this by using a rough stone, medium stone and then very light use of a more highly refined stone and strop.

So something like this using your stuff:

EP 220
Shapton 1K
Shapton 4K (or something similar, go lightly)
Strop (very light strokes)

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:53 pm 

I like the Shapton GS so I will definitely go with the same brand.

With the freehand strop I already have, would it be worthed it to get the EP strop to use before the freehand one?

I have been alternating between the EP and my King 1000/6000 combo, so far I have been combining the merits of both set up. The EP to set bevel and use the King for quick touching up at work.

I am still getting better result with the EP but I intend to be decent at both.

Ferry

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:16 pm 
Forum Moderator

V1P - I'm in the same boat as you. I'm still getting sharper, more consistent edges on the EP. I like free hand stropping vs. the EP strop (unless you already have the EP set up for a particular knife). It takes too long to drag out the EP, get the angle set, then use the strop. The trick is trying to be consistent w/angle, etc. when free hand stropping an EP created edge. I'm still learning, but I am making progress.

If you don't already have an EP strop, I don't know if I'd add one (depending on the edge finish you want and the higher grit EP stones you have).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:43 pm 

SteveG: another learner just like me *high five*

Do you only sharpen kitchen knives with the EP or other blades as well?

I think I can agree with you that the freehand strop would be enough for now and I only sharpen kitchen knives anyway.

I like the feel and the result from the 1000 grit GS that I have, I think I want to add a 2K & 4K. What do you think?

Ferry

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:50 pm 
Forum Moderator

Ferry - I use the EP kit w/Shapton GS 500, 1K, and 4K stones. I think 1K to 4K is just fine. I'm not looking to add the 2K to my line up. I've sharpened some hunting knives on the EP as well and the results were very good.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:19 pm 

I use a Chosera 800, essentially behind the edge and just a few strokes at the very edge to remove fatigued steel, than a Chosera 2k, followed by just a few strokes again but this time very light with the 5k or balsa charged with Cr2O3 for eliminating the last burr debris.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]