It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:35 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Lurkers say hello!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:37 pm 
Site Admin

There are so many people that read our forums but never contribute. Please reveal yourselves and say hello to us. We're friendly and we promise we won't bite!

Plus it's more fun for us old timers to meet new people instead of blabbing to each other all the time.

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Lurkers say hello!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:27 am 

Hi!

I posted a little in the fishing thread-own a few Japanese and Japanese/German hybrids and am always interested in learning a bit more when there's time to click here-Thanks to everyone for sharing their knowledge & good humour.

Regards

Carl Z
Vancouver BC

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:02 am 

Yayayay...it's nice to have another Vancouverite. Welcome Carl :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:54 am 
Forum Moderator

MEMBERSHIP <> I will reiterate CKTG's request. I get a lot of PM's from those of whom might be uncomfortable to post. You are all still totally welcome to PM me, but the Forum has more than just my one perspective to offer.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:17 am 

I don't have much to say, I read a lot of what is being said. Wife is looking for some knives. I told her the key to good knives is a good forge, a good anvil, a few decent hammers, good steel, and a lot of hands on experience. She's not falling for it, she thinks the key to having good knives is buying good knives.

cheers,
wm_crash, the friendly hooligan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:07 pm 

You caught me - hello!

I've been lurking for the past few months, and just now registered to make a purchase from the For Sale subforum. I've been researching stainless thin-gyutos and laser-gyutos for a while now. I really value edge retention, and am intrigued by the Akifusa. At the same time, I hear the performance of the Konosuke HH calling out to me. I'm tempted to just buy both, lol. This forum has been a great resource - thanks everybody!

My first and only Japanese knife is a 210mm Tojiro wa-gyuto in shirogami (White #2 carbon steel) from which I removed the kurouchi finish. It was a killer deal ($45!), and I love that it can get very sharp easily (I have an Edge Pro clone with basic stones, and Norton waterstones/stops for high grit polishing), but I dislike the extra care required due to it being high carbon. I also realize that there are great semi-stainless knives out there like the Konosuke HD, Kikuichi Performance TKC and others, but I would like to not have to mess with rust/patina/etc unless it was really worth it (ie: much better value could be had). With the likes of AEB-L, SRS-15, and other stainless alloys available, I'll bet there's a knife out there that's just what I'm looking for. But what exactly am I looking for? Looks like I'll have to try some knives and find out!

Although my 210mm Tojiro seems like a very reasonable size for home use, I wonder if I wouldn't be happier with something bigger. I use both 8 and 10-inch German-profile knives at work, but they seem a world apart from the thin and light Japanese-style knives I am considering. Ultimately, before I spend serious money on a knife I want to figure out what size I like best.

I just purchased a 240mm Artifex that has been thinned a bit already from the For Sale subforum to see if I like it. I'll report back once I have the knife in hand and get to spend some time with it. Any advice in the meantime is definitely welcome!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:42 pm 

Hi Seal and welcome! If you like the ease of sharpening and the edge you get from carbon but not the extra maintenance you should consider carbon with stainless clad, the best of both worlds.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:02 pm 

Seal;
I have a 240 Artifex gyuto in AEB-L that was thinned by Ken Schwartz (ken123) and that knife ROCKS!!! Put it through 20+/- hours of heavy chopping & slicing on an end grain BoardSmith board & it still is razor sharp with a 16° edge.
I use my unthinned 210 AEB-L like a hired thug for heavy lifting at a lower angle.
The steel isn't the most expensive but it really works.

I am only a home cook so YMMV

Douglas

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:04 pm 

"I use my unthinned 210 AEB-L like a hired thug for heavy lifting at a lower angle."

Meant to say higher angle.

Douglas

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]