It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:40 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Looking for a hand made Nakiri for up to 200$
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:18 pm 

Hey guys, i need your help in choosing a knife.
Im looking for a nakiri, carbon steel, wa-handle ( I'm right handed), open to stainless clad or mono-construction, should be quite thin and a great performer with a sharp, long lasting edge.
I dont like the black kurouchi finishes all that much and I'm also not a huuuuge fan of damascus blades (unless they look reall really nice :) )I don't want to have to clean the knive between tasks, a quick sweep before putting it to rest should be no problem though.

About sharpening: i dont have any experience but i am planning to get a stone or two and get into it. However, that means that i wont get to sharpen the knive before i get confident enough to try my new skills on it, so besides edge retention, a good sharpness ootb would be nice as well. On the other hand, i do understand that ootb sharpness doesn't mean all that much considering you will use this knife for the rest of your life hopefully, so i wouldn't want to miss out any great deals that fit all my other preferences, just because it's not screaming sharp ootb.
It also means that it should be easy to sharpen :)

Aaand it should be hand made in japan.

Ps: I am actually planning ahead a fair bit, so feel free to reccomend anything, in stock or not.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: a roundet tip would be nice as well, i know you can round the yourself but i'd rather have a blacksmith do it :)

Post subject: Re: Looking for a hand made Nakiri for up to 200$
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:46 pm 
Forum Moderator

Brainless - I just did a Quick Look video on this -Anryu hand hammered Blue #2 Nakiri 165mm: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kaanasna16.html. It's a super nice knife with low maintenance stainless cladding w/a very interesting hammered finish. The handle is also beautiful. This thing is just different looking than your standard Kurouichi or Damascus. A great performer also. Might be my 1st choice given your criteria. Really sharp OOTB as well.

I think you'd love this knife!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:52 pm 

You might want to look at a Goko nakiri: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/gona16.html

White #1 core with stainless cladding. Not sure of the edge retention but with a rockwell of 60 it should be pretty good. The biggest thing I see about white #1 is its ease of sharpening and how easy it is to get a screaming sharp edge out of it.

You might also look at the Richmond Laser nakiri in Aogami Super: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/rilaaosuna.html

From what I have seen and read, Aogami super (blue super) should sharpen fairly easily (I could be wrong, lol) but it will hold an edge longer. They are also stainless clad and with a rockwell of 63 they should take a very steep angle and be able to hold on to it.

I think both should come ootb very sharp judging by what I have read about both makers, so that shouldn't be an issue. Plus they both look to have a nice round tip. :)

I'm sure that many more people that know more about nakiris (probably everyone, lol) will weigh in here and help you find exactly what you need! :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:55 pm 
Forum Moderator

Great suggestions Def! Mark has so many nice knives on the site :-).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:55 pm 

Oh wow, Steve, that Anryu is gorgeous! I love his hammered finish... heck, ALL of his finishes are VERY nice!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:03 pm 

Yes the Anryu Is good looking knife. The rosewood oval handle feels great in your hand. Excellent fit and finish all around. To top it off the blade is an awesome performer. The steel takes and holds a great edge.The hammering and convexing makes for easy food releasing.I have his 240 gyuto and love it!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:37 pm 

I don't know if this is what you mean by the black kurouchi, it is not the same as the painted on finish of the Tojiro ITK line, but I am very impressed with this knife for the money.

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/takuna16.html

Good edge retention, gets scary sharp with ease, awesomely thin behind the edge.

I also have the Anryu gyuto, it is beautiful, performs great...two thumbs up, would buy again.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:14 am 
Forum Moderator

I would check out the Anryu and Goko nakiri's. Even with the carbon core/SS cladding, a quick wash and forget is not the way to go with these since the exposed steel on the core can rust if left wet and the rust can travel up the blade under the cladding. Anything carbon needs to be fully dried (paper towel works best here to make sure there are no micro droplets on the blade!) before being put to rest.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:52 pm 

I was actually leaning towards the masakage yuki or the konosuke white #2. Are there any points against them in my preferences?
What about the fujiwara nashiji?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:28 am 
Forum Moderator

Those are all great choices. Between the Kono and the Yuki it really boils down to a more refined rustic hand made blade that's taller and a little heavier (Yuki) versus a lighter, shorter, all carbon Nakiri (Kono) They're both super knives. The Yuki is simpler to care for, given the SS cladding. It may also have a little less stiction with the grind and finish. Don't forget the Kono HD Nakiri - semi stainless steel for easier maintenance ITK. You couldn't go wrong with either.

The Fujiwara Nashiji is a great Nakiri as well. There's so many awesome options in the $150-200 range.

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next