It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:04 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: F Dick Polish steel.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:56 pm 
Site Admin

hey there mark, just purchased an f.dick polishing steel. i wasn't fully aware of exactly what kind of steel this was or is, having never seen this kind before and was thinking i was going to return/exchange it, but then thought it might work out okay. so a couple of questions i guess, can this be used as an everyday steel or more of a finishing steel. i guess what i'm asking is, is this the king of steel you only want to use right after your knives have come off the 5000 grit stone? or say i have a knife that hasn't been sharpened in a bit, would i still be able to use said steel. my knives are an assortment of mac, tojiro, shun, fujiwara and wustof.

thanks mark

hope this makes sense

best

grant

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: F Dick Polish steel.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:58 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Grant,

Yes the F Dick polish is a good rod for Japanese knives. Since there is virtually no grit on the rod it will true up your edges without micro chipping them. I recommend this one all the time to guys that have harder knives.

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/fdidi12posto.html

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:17 pm 

A steel or aka honing rod should not be used after a fine stone simply because it will degrade the edge. After say a 1k stone it would work well but finer than 1k and the stone will work better.

A honing rod is a maintenance tool to be used between visits to the stone.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:29 pm 

great, is this going to work on softer steels or should i keep with the ceramic for those

grant

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:12 pm 

A metal honing rod was intended to be used with softer stainless because at lower Rockwell ratings the softer blade steel will deform when pressed against the harder metal honing rod.

Ceramic or to some extent diamond honing rods were developed for harder and more wear resistant metals. Also including steels with higher (60+) Rockwell ratings.

Usually diamond honing rods are too coarse for for a final finish on high hardness blades with thin edges. Diamond abrasive is very sharp and tends to leave thin edges a bit ragged unless the blade steel is very wear resistant (think high amounts of vanadium). This is where a ceramic rod can help by smoothing out the edge but is a technique I would often recommend for softer steels that see more damage.

For Japanese knives and steels of high Rockwell rating (60+) I would always recommend using a stone whenever possible. A steel is not really needed if you have stone, but if you are a professional cook then I can see why you would want a honing rod.

Whatever you chose to use make sure you use LIGHT pressure. The #1 mistake made when using a honing rod is thinking you need to force it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:08 pm 

The steel in question is polished and doesn't noticably degrade a refined edge. A few careful swipes restores my Richmond AS Laser to OOTB keenness. Haven't needed to take it to the stones yet.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:23 am 

On the few soft steel knives I have, when the edge starts to dull my ceramic rod perks them right back up. And as Jason said, very light strokes and very few also.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]