It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:09 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 3 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: your first stone!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:21 pm 

My first stone was the Shapton Pro 2k. You can get by forever with just that stone and a homemade loaded strop. I got it as opposed to other starter stones because it was splash and go(pro cook, no time for soaking), hard enough to allow me to not immediately get a flattener, high enough grit to stop on(for my old standards, anyways) and fast enough to not take forever getting there.

I have, sometimes use, and really do not like, the Shapton Pro 5k. I cannot figure out what people like about it, other than the fact that it is a 5k stone, as opposed to being, say, a piece of toast.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:29 am 

I think it was a Smith's brand medium Arkansas on a wood base, that was 20 years ago though :)

Today it seems a 1k stone is very popular and in most cases will provide a quality lasting edge to most double bevel knives. I'm partial to the Nubatama brand and would recommend starting coarser and working your way to finer stones. A 220 and 1k would provide a useful start and solid groundwork for finer stones when the time comes.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:29 am 

Oh my gosh! I tried sharpening my shun 6" chef Knife and it was extremely dull before i used it but now it is like brand new!. I can honestly say it could be a little better but this knife is amazing now. I couldnt stop wanting to cut everything in my kitchen haha. I will definitely keep it maintained as much as possible and keep using it until it dies on me. I love it!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:51 am 

Of course, if you prefer German knives, which tend to be softer steel, then you would not need a stone finer than 2K, Shapton Pro or otherwise. As for criticism of the Shapton Pro 5K, it is not an aggressive stone, and comparison of the 5K to a 2K is like comparing German Knives to Japanese knives-they are two different beasts. Anyone who feels that their Shapton Pro 5K stone is comparable to a piece of toast needs to try a new toaster and fresh bread. :)

“If one really wants to be master of an art, technical knowledge of it is not enough. One has to transcend technique so that the art becomes an ‘artless art’ growing out of the Unconscious.” Eugen Herrigel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:17 am 

Thank you all for the info, I am glad this topic got so much talk about. I am learning a lot very rapidly about these stones. Now i just have to find the right angles for me and my knives.

please keep posting so i can keep reading :) thanks

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:30 pm 

WickedSharp wrote:As for criticism of the Shapton Pro 5K, it is not an aggressive stone, and comparison of the 5K to a 2K is like comparing German Knives to Japanese knives-they are two different beasts. Anyone who feels that their Shapton Pro 5K stone is comparable to a piece of toast needs to try a new toaster and fresh bread. :)

Let's see, it is:
1. Hard to flatten
2. Loads almost instantly(nice combo with being hard to flatten)
3. Feels so slippery it's like sharpening in midair
4. Leaves an edge so slick that it runs on everything, which is absurd for a 5k stone
5. It does not sound different when you hit the edge, so you don't know where you are without checking over and over
6. It leaves an awful looking finish on a single bevel
7. It's expensive
8. It's useless for blending Hamaguri bevels
9. It has no range at all--a one trick horse
10. It's an ugly shade of purple.

At least you can eat toast.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:04 pm 
Forum Moderator

Hmmm Well I love my 5k Pro

1. Disagree. Use a coarse DMT and never had any issues
2. Never had this either. Just use plenty of water.
3. It IS slippery, but as I use the EP I actually love the feel. Also for Razors I like the slippery feel.
4. I never use a 5k edge right of the Shapton but strop on 1µ Boron or a different compound before use. Can't comment on this.
5. On the EP, no issue for me. haven't tried full size
6. No idea, but I don't think these stones were made for single bevels. Regardless, I've seen some good single bevels coming of Shapton stones.
7. When you see what you get, I find it's priced right.
8. Not designed for it
9. What do you mean?
10. LOL yeah It could use nicer color :D

So far, It's my favorite stone in the 4-6k range.

Belgian Sharpening
Facebook

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:33 pm 

Yeah, I can tell it probably does a fine job with a jig. But you gotta wonder why they made that stone for hand sharpening in the first place?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:32 am 
Forum Moderator

I know plenty of people who like the 5k for free hand. Never tried it myself as I don't have one, but I guess it just depends on what you like.

I should get a Rika soon. It gets so much love lately, I should probably test it.

Belgian Sharpening
Facebook

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:13 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Michiel,

I need to do some of these for the Edge Pro. I'll ask to see if they will cut some up for me.

Chefknivestogo Blog

Page 2 of 3 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next