It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:37 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Variance stone to stone with the Green Brick?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:46 am 

One of the edges I really like comes from stropping on the Green Brick as a finisher. It just feels blisteringly sharp and provides just the right combo of toothyness and refinement for my tastes.

The problem I have with the stone is that the one I have is super easy to gouge on edge leading strokes ( one of the reasons I mainly strop on it ) but looking at vids of people using them, I am not seeing too many problems.

Its entirely possible my technique needs refinement, but I'm not thinking its all that horrible though as I don't have problems anywhere near as bad on soft stones like Aotos.

Has anyone noticed any variance stone to stone with the Green Brick? Its got to be me or the stone and I'd much rather blame the stone :lol:

Post subject: Re: Variance stone to stone with the Green Brick?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:13 am 

The green brick is soft like a super stone so its very easy to gouge. It takes some practice to use it like other stones and even then you will gouge it from time to time.

The edge from this stone is impressive though, have had a lot of great feedback on its performance.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:05 pm 

The "Green Brick" is a synthetic stone, so there is very little variance, if any at all. It is an easy stone to gouge if your technique is lacking.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:02 pm 

Try different soak times. It will change the feel slightly.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:12 pm 

I am thinking it's my technique seeming as you all cold harted people won't blame the stone. :)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:33 pm 
Forum Moderator

Branwell - you should have seen the gouge I put in the Nubatama 1K Ume medium the 1st time I used it - coming from the Shapton Glass stones :-). I'm learning....

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:28 pm 

Every once in a while I will very slightly gouge the stone, but mostly I don't have a problem. I use a Arashiyama and when I first bought it Mark recommend only stropping for the same reason. Stropping was just too slow so I learned how to push on it too. This set me up to be able to push on soft stones in general.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]