It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:21 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Looking for my first Japanese 240mm Gyuto
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:14 pm 
Site Admin

I am interested in a 240mm Japanese Gyuto and have been browsing your website. Up until this point I have only used German knives and have both a Henckel and a Wusthof

Chef knife that I currently use. I would like to get a lighter, thinner Japanese Gyuto and was very impressed with the reviews of the Konosuke HD2 on both your website and several forums. For background info I am a home cook. I have a few questions:

This being my first Japanese knife I am a bit concerned with the idea of corrosion of the blade. I have no problem with cleaning/wiping it after each use but live right on the Gulf of Mexico in a very saltwater filled atmosphere. Should I just get the HH stainless version?

I know I will need a new sharpening setup and would like to know if the Edge Pro combo that you all sell would be compatible with this knife?

Furthermore, if there is another wa-gyuto that you would recommend over this knife in the same price range for a neophyte to Japanese knives let me know!

Thanks,

Will

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Looking for my first Japanese 240mm Gyuto
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:18 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Will,

Yes the edge pro works great on most knives including the konosukes.

If you're concerned about patina I would recommend you get the HH instead of the HD. The difference in performance is almost nil and the HH are fully stainless.
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/ko24wa.html

It's a great knife and I think you'll really enjoy using it. It's quite a shock to pick it up after using German stuff since it's so much lighter and the difference in cutting is pronounced. You'll be impressed I'm sure.

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Looking for my first Japanese 240mm Gyuto
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:22 pm 

Given the humidity in South LA., TX., AL. and FL. you might be better off with a stainless steel, but with constant use, cleaning, and drying it probably wouldn't be a huge issue. It might be a bigger issue if you were to put it away for any length of time without some kind of oil or wax on the blade.

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]