It is currently Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:43 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Starting a sharpening business with an edge pro.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:18 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Mark!

First of all, thank you for the reply!

I 'd really appretiate some advice on my purchase of the Edge Pro kit.

I have a handful of reasonably nice stones and have been trying to learn how to sharpen for about a year with decent results, but far from push-cutting through paper.

My main problem is keeping a consistent angle so naturally I started looking the EdgePro way. But money has been really tight lately and I just couldn't justify the investment.

But now I think I have found a way to do it!

I've thought about a mobile knife sharpening business and think I could actually pull it off... spending a few days a week going to restaurants and private costumer's homes to sharpen a few knives for a few EUR per knife. It could be a nice hobby that would even contribute a few EUR per month to my rent.

It is essential that I can achieve a very high standard of sharpness (I have a USB microscope I could borrow for the Facebook marketing campaign so it really should be mirror polished). I'm sure it takes quite some skill to even get the best of the EdgePro (in your estimate... is it hard to get high-end results on an EdgePro?).

I'm very interested in the Full Monty kit, I love the sound of Shapton Glass stones.
The kit has almost everything I imagine I would need, except a diamond plate for stone flattening and a few strops and CBN sprays.

With that would I be abple to produce a frightingly sharp edge that would be obvious to my costumers is just much superiour than what they get from their kitchen sharpeners?

Is there anything else you would add?

Also, wich strops would you reccomend for the CBN sprays? All felt or a mix of leather and felt (and microfibre maybe?)

Thank you so much for your help and for servicing the knife enthusiast community!

Borut

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Starting a sharpening business with an edge pro.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:20 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Bourut,

Good luck with your business. I think you should stick with the full monty and skip the strops. You'll get screaming sharp edges with the stones provided in this set. The strops will add to your costs and won't help you much since most of your customers will want a toothy edge and not something that is overly refined.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:21 pm 
Site Admin

Thank you for the advice! I will be ordering as soon as I'm confident I have everything covered!

There is one leather strop included in the Full Monty kit. Would you suggest stropping every knife after the sharpenning process? How different would results be if the strop had some compound on it, compared to just plain leather?

Do you think I need a diamond plate to flatten the Shapton Glass stones?

Thank you!

Borut

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:23 pm 
Site Admin

You can experiment. Many people like to use diamond spray on the strop but it's not necessary. This would be a good spray to try with your strop:

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/1midisp10cah.html

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:20 pm 

Plain leather doesn't abrade anything..

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:18 pm 

It does but not as quickly as a strop loaded with good compound.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:52 am 

Nope.. pretty sure it doesn't or you would't put compound on it

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:34 am 

noneck180 wrote:Nope.. pretty sure it doesn't or you would't put compound on it

There are many, many people that strop on a bare piece of leather without the aid of a compound. I knew about stropping on bare leather and did so long before I knew you could add a compound to it. lol The compound just speeds things up and uses the leather as a medium. A lot of people that use strops with compounds also keep a bare strop just for the final finish.

Essentially a bare piece of leather will help to clean, straighten, and refine an edge. Bare leather can also polish off a small burr as well, but it is not to the point that it will actually sharpen a knife and to use it without a compound for actual burr removal can take a while. lol You can also make your knife dull by stropping incorrectly on free hanging leather like a stropping belt. The leather can curl around the edge and actually wear on it to dull it. The best leather to use is typically vegetable tanned as it retains a lot of the natural silicates found in the leather. It is those silicates that do the abrading. Again, it isn't sand paper and it will NEVER make a dull knife sharp, but it is there and it does abrade. Aluminum tanned leather doesn't work nearly as well (if at all), but any leather will be pretty much identical once a compound is applied as then it is just the compound doing the abrasive/polishing work and not the leather.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:42 am 

Munky hit the nail on the head.

Although I am partial to Kangaroo Leather if I am using leather as my stropping medium.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:10 am 

Each to their own I guess, I have my conclusions after sharpening a fair bit. I have no time in my life to strop on piece of unloaded leather. I would rather use newspaper.. If it dulls on leather it's been over sharpened, edge too thin and easily brought back with a steel. Lets keep it simple the OP is starting a business, so lets give him advice worth giving.

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next