It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:30 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Kono Ginsan 210? Other recommendations too
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:32 am 

(NOTE: This was moved from another thread as it needed its own space)

I too am an avid female chef in need of a 210ish chef's knife/gyoto. I love all the videos on this site-they've been very helpful. I like a deeper knife and like the wa-gyotos and need an opinion on this knife: Konosuke Ginsan 210mm Gyuto. The video details the attributes of the knife nicely, but I haven't seen it "in action" I'd love some feedback from someone more experienced on how it might perform. There were a few others I bookmarked as well-one that you(?) were going on and on (in a good way!) about what a beautiful grind it had. I'm in the market for several knives, so a 240/50 or a Santoku could also be in the consideration pile. Thanks so much!!

Post subject: Re: Kono Ginsan 210? Other recommendations too
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:48 pm 
Forum Moderator

Hello there and welcome to the forum!

I was the one who moved the thread as it was kind of out of place before. :)

So, just a quick reference here: Normally we ask that you answer a few basic questions first: post17652.html#p17652

Also, by saying you like a "deeper" knife, I am assuming you mean taller height wise? Thanks for the questions!

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:38 pm 

1. Are you right handed? Right
2. What type of knife are you interested in (gyuto, nakiri etc..) Gyoto/wa-gyoto/chef knife.
3. What size knife are you looking for? 210mm to 240mm 8-9 inch.
Do you prefer carbon or stainless steel? On the fence. I probably need something that leans towards less staining.
5. Do you prefer a western handle or a Japanese handle? I'm open, but overall I like the Japanese look. Fit and finish are important to me.
6. How much did you want to spend? I'm pretty open.
7. Do you know how to sharpen? Am in the process of learning, and have friends who do sharpen. Please recommend as if I was a pro lol.

Yes, I mean blade height, especially at the heel.The knife I mentioned, while not absolutely perfect (it's not super deep) has most everything else I'm looking for. Beautiful fit and finish, and looks like it will resist staining. How does this steel compare to others? Is it "chippy"? How is the edge retention?

I work part time as a private chef, and do some boutique catering. I'm not on the line all day, but sometimes I do a lot of prepping. I have a family that occasionally uses my knives-will try to keep them away as I upgrade my stuff. I am also wanting a Santoku and a petty knife.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:01 pm 
Forum Moderator

Ginsanko, the steel in the knife you're looking at is very nice. It is stainless, sharpens well, is not "chippy" per say, and it has good edge retention.

I said "per say" to the chippy question and here's a better explanation of that. All higher hardness steels, ground very thin in a kitchen knife edge will be more chippy than they're soft, stainless western counterparts. If you're coming from a Wusthof where you can pry open a jar with the edge....don't think you can do that with really any knife we'd typically recommend.

Now the knife you're asking about is fantastic in every way. Flawless F&F, beautiful handle, ground with incredible geometry, from a great maker. One of the real great knives on the site. I won't even try to recommend away from it....although there are other knives that are very nice as well. Just saying....this is a great knife.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:21 pm 
Forum Moderator

The Kono Ginsan knives are stunning in person - beautifully done. You might want to look at the 240mm version. The 210 is awesome, but it's a little undersized and a bit short IMO, especially if you specify you like taller knives. Mark's stats on the 240 web page seem to be the 210 stats - I don't know the actual height and edge length of the 240, I only handled the 210 and the nakiri.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:52 pm 

D*mn you Mr. Marr!! You and Mr. Knife Fanatic have cost me much Dinero on this site, Mark must be paying you commission! ;-)

Hadeshnds, mine is on its way, I just took advantage of the "bill me later" feature, got the 210 mm myself as I do not have something in that category (my 240 mm is covered pretty well). This is my 6th purchase from Mark and this site, and with the incredible support here,this site is the bomb!

Cheers...

Todd in Chicago

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:08 am 
Forum Moderator

Todd, post a thread and let us know how you like the Ginsan. Have someone do a "drumroll" as you open the box for the first time :-). It's that nice...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:17 pm 
Forum Moderator

Definitely show us the knife when it comes.....and sorry, I think!! :)

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]