It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:06 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 3 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: mobile sharpening business - what should I buy?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:19 pm 

If you want to sharpen to make money don't go any finer than 3k. Most knives unless totally useless won't need anything coarser than 1000k to get the edge back. I will guarantee 9 times out of 10 people make their knives duller by going to finer grits and not knowing it.
DMT two sided or Atoma 140..never tried Atoma..I use DMT and only when major reconstruction is needed
400 shapton glass
1k Shapton glass Green brick or Thick Chosera
4k Shapton glass
Steel it
Stop and done...
You will need a good base for your sharpener to sit stable. Lots of water..lol
I always start with a finer stone first and see how it cuts...use a sharpie and get a magnet.

Good luck..

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:48 pm 

For making money, a big advantage of the Pro over the Apex model is the ability to sharper scissors with the scissor attachment.

Plus hair salons tend to have better scenery than restaurant kitchens.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:57 pm 

Hair salon shears are absolutely something you never want to touch, even with the pro unless your a "Pro". Screw up a pair of those and you will be sharpening for month to buy new ones. That's all I will say about that..

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:26 am 

I almost never agree with noneck, but I support his position in that you should never touch hair scissors unless you are a God-tier sharpener.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:11 pm 

Huh? Of the 288 "hair cutting shears" listed on Amazon, 8 cost more than $300. Granted Amazon doesn't carry the high end stuff, but hair dressing is not the highest paying profession. I would expect most hair dressers, like most professional kitchen staff, use modestly priced tools.

As a comparison, excluding sets costing more than $300, Amazon lists 4 of 703 (this number includes sets) chef knives costing more than $300.

Other than serrated scissors, with the scissor cutting attachment, why are scissors easier to screw up than knives?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:53 am 

If you remove metal from behind the cutting edge, you can irreparable damage. The edges will never meet. It's an easy mistake to make. Hairs shears are not a simple ground edge. I did 20 or more cheap scissors before I even considered trying a pair of hair shears.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:24 pm 

First of all good luck as you start your sharpening journey, it is easy to get excited about it and the fact that you are excited is a good sign. The Edge Pro Professional model is the way to go for sure, it is significantly more sturdy, it is an awesome system. It is not one that I would choose to do a mobile service but since you are on a bike, it is understandable.
Here is some advice from an old guy who started his (my) sharpening business a few years ago:
1. Do not be fooled into thinking the stock stones are unworthy - I have used those stones on very expensive knives with terrific results, they are inexpensive and will last a while so perhaps a good approach is to keep those on hand, get to know them and see how you feel about them, you should be able to produce an edge with a 220/400/600 combo that will startle people. If you can do that, having those beautiful shapton stones in your backpack is going to empower you with confidence, they are proven performers. I will argue with anyone who tells me the stock stones are no good. This is coming from someone who has all the other brands, I love them all but I continue to keep my quiver full of stock stones.
2. The Atoma 140 is the key to success so you could go with the Atoma and from that to the 220, 400 and then finish with the Shaptons
3. I gave up stropping on anything but newspaper now, I do have some nifty strops but newspaper is quick, free and effective. This is mobile sharpening here, your painting the walls, not the Sistine Chapel. Now you want to do a nice job on those walls but you're on a budget, keep it simple. The stones that Rick mentions are awesome, that 5k Shapton Pro will leave a beautiful finish.
4. Make sure you can set that EP Pro up blindfolded before you get on the road, be confident with it before you start charging people.
I would go to a restaurant and ask them to give you the dullest knife that they have and do the first one for free, you should reach that level of skill before you start pedalling but the EP Pro will help you build layers of confidence.
5. Have a plan on how to deal with damaged knives, broken tips and big nicks, you may want to take those home and work on those, small nicks and chips will come out during the sharpening process.
6. If someone asks you what angle you sharpen at tell them 17.5 degrees, they won't know if you sharpen it at 19 or 20 deg.
7. There is one important piece of gear here that is crucial, the SHARPIE, it should be the first thing you purchase.
8. Create some business cards, it isn't that hard, I make my own.
Keep us informed on your progress and take some pictures at some point it will inspire others.

Peter

Once you get the EP Pro at home grab some knives and get them to the point where they are the sharpest knives you've ever seen.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:40 pm 

Shears have perfectly flat even bevels, also have to be "tuned" when they are sharpened. Any good hair dressing shear is over $500 and they will have many of them sitting in the Barbicide. A knife can be chipped, cut concrete, ran over, left outside rusted, etc. and still in 10 minutes can be repaired to new. No comparison..

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:00 pm 

Sailor sez, "I will argue with anyone who tells me the stock stones are no good." Yes he will. ;~>

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:39 pm 

LOL, heck yeah, bring it on.

Page 2 of 3 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next