It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:13 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Looking for a really good petty
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:48 pm 
Site Admin

Mark
Looking at Pettys now...
One of our henkels is a 6inch chefs knife & dont want the petty looking similar to it at all, want a tall heel.
Once again cant see these in person so need some help.
A 120mm petty has a 4inch blade so very similar to a paring knife & tiny, hard to tell from the pics & videos?
Should I get a 130mm?
What is a great performer razor sharp, wa or traditional handle, want a great knife but dont see spending a fortune on a small petty.
So most important is cutting performance & yes now im staring to understand that part of that is my ability to sharpen it myself, what are your recomendations, whhich ones outshine the rest that wont break the bank?
I can obviously wait if your #1 choice is something that you dont have in-stock right now...
The Tojiro DP looks like my henkels 6inch, not interested, no wow factor & seems boring to me..
Moritaka
Fujiwara Nashiji
Masakage Yuki
Richmond Aogami Super Laser 120mm Petty

others;?

Thanks
Rob

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Looking for a really good petty
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:50 pm 
Site Admin

I love the Yuki!

In about 2 weeks the Kohetsu will be available and that would be a great choice too but all the ones you list seem like good options for you. The moritaka is an excellent knife for the money and I really like their new yew handles. They make excellent pettys.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:08 pm 

Excellent knife for the money, very good steel. http://www.chefknivestogo.com/dojopetty135mm.html

If you prefer a 120mm this would be my next choice. Has a tall heel and looks like a mini-gyuto. http://www.chefknivestogo.com/gokopetty120mm.html

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:38 pm 

I have handled a few petties, but never owned one so take this for what it's worth...I really dig the hiromoto as petty in 150, I find it big enough for small boning and small enough for paring tasks.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]