It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:04 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Chef knife wanted.
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:10 pm 
Site Admin

Hi, I am wondering if you could recommendation for a chef's knife...I was looking at either the Mac Pro or the masamoto vg....thoughts? Avid cook, female with fairly large hands. Thanks much. Also it is hard to learn how to use the apex? I've been pondering getting the sharpening system but always chicken out at the end thinking I will destroy my knives. Thanks again.

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Chef knife wanted.
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:23 pm 
Forum Moderator

I'm not exactly sure if the MAC Pro line is good for someone with large hands as I do remember MAC having slightly more nimble Western handles. The Masamoto VG is going to be a little bit more what you are looking for in terms of size, but if you are looking for raw performance the MAC is going to be a little bit lighter and thinner. Both knives have good stainless that's fairly tough and not too hard to sharpen.

I wouldn't worry too much about destroying your knives, so to speak, if you are going to use a guided sharpening system. With a minimal amount of reading you will be up and sharpening right away. Free Hand sharpening is a little harder to learn at first, but is arguably more rewarding once you get it down. :)

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:33 pm 

While I freehand sharpen, I have played with a few Lansky and Smith's sharpening systems. Those were very easy to use and from the looks of it the Edge Pro system is worlds better and makes it even harder to mess up anything. It pretty much does everything for you except setup and moving the stones. I don't think anyone who can process their food with a knife and not seriously injure themselves would have any difficulty learning how to use the EP. lol ;)

So yeah, if you want an EP and don't want to freehand sharpen, I'd say go for it. You shouldn't do any serious damage to the knives that cannot be repaired and certainly should not ruin them unless there is a bit of malice and forethought involved. lol

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:43 pm 
Site Admin

I agree with Shaun. Overall I prefer the blade of the mac slightly over the masamoto. They're both very close and good choices in this price range.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:34 pm 
Forum Moderator

The EdgePro is exceedingly easy to learn to sharpen on. And it works very well, which is a contrast to many of the sharpening do-dads out there.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]